save the midlands

Shoot the shit, and talk about whatever here.

Moderators: PEPCORE, SweetPeaPod, BreakforceOne, JohnMerrik

CoreCore Member

save the midlands

Postby kvkvg » Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:41 pm

hello everyone,

ok, i have noticed that their are a few people here who are from the midlands. do any of you feel my fustration at the lack of wicked parties around these parts?

i live in birmingham but have also lived in leicester for 4 years. although their is the occasional gig involving the usal suspects their is no decent homegrown nights involving locals who just wanna get their rocks off.

would anyone be interested in getting together and pulling off a killer party, where we can dance and toke and drink and drop and screw. or does thins kind of thng already exist in birmingham/midlands area?

if your interested, you can contact me at myspace/kvkv2 (sorry if thats not allowed) or you can contact me here.

Most Valuable Poster!

Postby Silent Frog » Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:34 pm

Any chance we can just get rid of the midlands altogether? It gets in the way a bit and it kinda smells. Forgive me, I've been brought up with a natural hatred towards Birmingham. I blame my dad but I don't understand where he got it from... It's actually quite a nice place.

I've been tempted to come up for some breakcore nights there actually, at a place called the Custard Factory if I remember right. Venetian Snares. I'm sure the homegrown stuff is there. When I moved up to Norwich for uni last year I thought there was no scene at all but after a fair bit of searching it's actually pretty lively. The only thing I found for Brum was Resistor Records. Their stuff sounds a bit more techno/glitch than breakcore but it seems like a good place to start. http://profile.myspace.com/resistorrecords

Maximum Pwnrdrive

Postby Red Sparowe » Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:48 pm

I know that there are drop beats not bombs nights at the custard factory in Birmingham which look pretty fucking good. Ital Tek is also from around those parts and i'm pretty sure Birmingham has a pretty healthy scene. the don't stay in website seems pretty good for finding out info... in fact i'm looking at the lineup for the last drop beats not bombs:Exile, Scotch Egg, Ladyscraper, Ital Tek, Hot Roddy, Floorclearer, Judith Priest. Seems pretty fucking good to me. Hope that helps dude.

CoreCore Member

Postby kvkvg » Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:44 am

lol, yeah, drop beats not bombs is great and i regually beg to be a part of it, but to no joy. its only twice a year that its on. Resistor records is very cool but mainly dubstep.

as or the venetian snares gig, that was a fucking disaster. after buying a ticket for 13 quid only to be told tht the gig was cancilled 5 mins before it started, due to mr funk forgetting his CD decks apparently.

the ladies who orginised that gig are called Capsule. they seem to have great taste in music, they also orginise the supersonic festival which is doing well. but they have a dreadful reputation for only putting their friends on events. they claim to promote local talent when it apears they only put on bands they fancy
(this is true, my mates band were droped by them after their drummer rejected the advances of one of the girls)

and even when you go to a full on dancy night, no one dances. the capsule audience are a very chin strokey buch. a few years ago i saw squarepusher here, he was fucking amazing and the venue had over 1000 people in it. about 50 were dancing 10 of which were dancing like nutters.

i want a night for me and the 9 other nutters who wanted a mosh and a stomp. i grew up in bristol, so perhaps you can understand my fustrations.
i have lived in this city for two years cos a/: it big and b/: its got girt cheap housing, so i can focus on music without having to work full time. but im really begiuning to regret that choise. i know millanease lives around here, but is thinking of moving for the same reasons.

im going to give it one more year here, then move again unless somthing great happens.
considering the fact its the second biggest city in britain, it must be pretty embarssing to be a yam yam.

Supah No0b

Postby Jeer » Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:51 pm

head towards nottingham!
tbh it's got a sick underground scene, starting with the Blueprint club
Some of the nights there like Psycle [Psytrance, Gabber, etc.] have some amazing music with live DJ's and stuff, and manages to stay away from the mainstream clubs somehow. s'amazing

CoreCore Member

Postby kvkvg » Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:08 pm

that sounds cool, ill check it out. the huge woman to man ratio is alsoo an good point about nottingham. i would love their to be a big breakcore night at the bomb (is that club still aroound? it was years since i last visited).

Maximum Pwnrdrive

Postby Red Sparowe » Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:52 pm

I've heard Sheffield is quite good for good gabber nights or so i have been told by a mate who is at uni there. The housing is dirt cheap as well if thats a factor in your choice.

n3wb

Postby neb » Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:51 am

I'm involved with a Breakcore/Jungle/Gabba mashup type night called Lobotomy in Nottingham if you ever feel like makin the trip..posted the upcoming events in the forum.
Theres also a speedcore/Terror night called RigorMortis at the same club

n3wb

Postby plucking skanker » Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:15 pm

beat me to it neb :D

Most Valuable Poster!

Postby Silent Frog » Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:40 pm

Did anyone make it down to Drop Beats Not Bombs yesterday? So wanted to go!

Return to General