Gimme a challenge.

Shoot the shit, and talk about whatever here.

Moderators: PEPCORE, SweetPeaPod, BreakforceOne, JohnMerrik

Gimme a challenge.

Postby Greezus » Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:24 am

As a noob breakcore producer, I frequently find myself producing across a large number of genres as I try to find my personal voice within the contexts of this genre. Like;

http://soundcloud.com/greezus/i-dont-give-a-fuck
VVV Is obviously different from this. VVV

http://soundcloud.com/greezus/another-preview

Another obvious thing to be said is that a lot of my tracks begin as ideas, but will occasionally reach a point where I don't know what the fuck to do with them / where to take them. Melody vs. Rhythm is also a huge factor, as melody is such a freeform thing when it comes to this sorta music.

Two questions:

1. How many of you find yourself facing these challenges and shit, and to you who have defeated these challenges, how did you defeat them, other than the obvious "Time will take you there if you care enough?"

and #2 is the reason I made this thread.

2. Since I find myself so constantly running out of gas off my own ideas, I'm requesting those with more experience than myself and with organized computers to give this noob a challenge. Grab some beats / breaks / melodies / b-movie samples, throw them into a zip/rar, and mediafire them to me, and I'll try to make a good track out of it. Maybe my having unlimited resources at this young age as a producer is stifling me. As a DJ, I can certainly say that if I were to start out on a DJM800, I'd be aborting my mixes with effects way before I were to begin making anything remotely viable.

Thanks in advance.

1337 P0ZT3r

Postby SweetPeaPod » Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:18 pm

U say u run out of steam so to say .. Maybe you should focus more on " what you have steam for". Focus on the parts that you feel strong about. Write shorter songs and really give your creation the attention it deserves. I dont think u should be discouraged at this point. When you better understand your own methods about writing, you can take advantage of it rather then 'forcing' a song to work.
I myself never really know what genre a track will come out as untill im well into it. I fully accept that. I like that better because i know im not forcing myself to write a 'breakcore' track , so to say. And in doing so, im never disappointed if someone says "its not breakcore enough". Oh yeah? Well no shit you close-minded fuck! :)
My friend Merk always said she didnt have the drive to ever make a track longer than 2 mins ..... So what does she do? Makes 2 min tracks, then plays them live in a set and Fucking Tears it Up!!

Good luck to ya, and accept your ways.

1337 P0ZT3r

Postby SweetPeaPod » Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:32 pm

Oh hey.. Just heard both songs. They actually dont sound too different from each other... I mean, in a set, they'd both work together. I like them! Sounds like old hardcore i use to spin. Nice

Most Valuable Poster!

Postby divtech » Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:07 pm

Hey man, good questions, as I think these are very characteristic of the breakcore genre. I would also have to ask whether these questions are catered specifically to bcore tunes or to any music youre currently writing in order to make some of the conclusions i plan on making.

1. I think overcame this by actually having a reason to make music. Anytime I felt i was making music just for music's sake the tunes wouldn't come out the way I would have liked them to. I think it is important to really analyze what you're doing and why, what is a greater goal of what youre writing?

I know in my case the times at which i felt as if i was making either a political or socially critical statement within my music were the times i was really motivated. There are tracks which counter this theory but for the most part i find it accurate. Breakcore to me started as a challenge to the status quo, a rewritten expression of what 'music' really meant. It meant you didnt have to conform to the basic rules of the game to play, and that to lose didnt really matter either. Whenever i wrote something, it felt as if i was actively challenging the world to put up with what i found to be pretty interesting, and when they didnt, it felt pretty good, and when they did, it felt even better. Basically, I had a personal motivation to make something that I expected would accomplish an important goal, and while that goal has changed, I feel the presence of a goal has (almost) always been there for what i feel are the good tunes i've written.

I think as a genre that started as a striking jab at contemporary music standards and composition, I expect that the essance of breakcore (and thus, the motivations of its heralds) has faded because the rest of the world is wising up to our games. Its readily apparent that pop culture now revels in the post-post-modern, in pseudo-sarcasm and pseudo irony, in the effortlessly meta. These were once things which defined breakcore, the randomness, the satirization of pop-culture norms while still enjoying them, the abrasive overblown crude humor. It is my suspicion that the lack of motivation to really make something out of current breakcore tunes is that these avenues have become stale co-opted ideas which now are used to represent modern humor/television/dubstep/the sale of products.

I would like to use this explanation as a reply to most people's struggle with the motivation for tracks. My suggestion is this: find something you believe in/have a reason to spread to the world, then use your music to do it. If you feel strongly about it, the music practically writes itself, albeit not always really nice sounding, but that comes with time and practice haha :D

If you want to make killer hardcore tunes with no soul, no substance, nothing to give but hardcore fuck yeahs all the way, go make dubstep.

Elite!

Postby ohmega sir » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:25 pm

divtech wrote:I would like to use this explanation as a reply to most people's struggle with the motivation for tracks. My suggestion is this: find something you believe in/have a reason to spread to the world, then use your music to do it. If you feel strongly about it, the music practically writes itself, albeit not always really nice sounding, but that comes with time and practice haha :D

If you want to make killer hardcore tunes with no soul, no substance, nothing to give but hardcore fuck yeahs all the way, go make dubstep.

brilliantly put! thats exactly what ive always thought! glad other people think that too
SPLATTERKORE!!!!!!!!!

Hardcore Member

Postby Sense of Direction » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:07 am

I think as a genre that started as a striking jab at contemporary music standards and composition, I expect that the essance of breakcore (and thus, the motivations of its heralds) has faded because the rest of the world is wising up to our games. Its readily apparent that pop culture now revels in the post-post-modern, in pseudo-sarcasm and pseudo irony, in the effortlessly meta. These were once things which defined breakcore, the randomness, the satirization of pop-culture norms while still enjoying them, the abrasive overblown crude humor. It is my suspicion that the lack of motivation to really make something out of current breakcore tunes is that these avenues have become stale co-opted ideas which now are used to represent modern humor/television/dubstep/the sale of products.

I agree with this, good way of putting the real essence of the genre to words. I reckon making sure you're enjoying yourself too while making something is important

1337 P0ZT3r

Postby verdroid » Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:13 pm

as i didn't understand all of it (i'm from belgium and my english isn't that good) i would say this:

1. yes, that suites myself. when i get to that point, i just put my project away for a while. (for a few days or even years) after that there comes a time when i listen to it again and see it in a whole new angle, so inspiration comes back

2. i'm not expirienced, but i'd love to challenge each other.
you give me a samplepack or a theme to write about (whatever) and vice versa (sounds like fun to me, that's why)
got some idea for you already :) and i'm curious what you would do as you've got a specific style that me like

if i didn't get the point or totally misunderstood, then well...uhm...fuck it!

ps: interesting comments everyone, could agree with all of them

Return to General