sidechaining = annoying

Request samples, Programs, Vst Links.

Moderators: PEPCORE, SweetPeaPod, BreakforceOne, JohnMerrik

1337 P0ZT3r

sidechaining = annoying

Postby kosmonavt » Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:07 am

am i the only one who finds sidechained songs fucking annoying? GIMME BASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

CoreCore Member

Postby avisupchurch » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:30 am

I'm way late on this, but yeah, some of the use of sidechaining really bugged me on the last Squarepusher album... and lots of other cases too

1337 P0ZT3r

Postby verdroid » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:19 pm

what is sidechaining + how does it work?

after lots of explanation i still don't get it how to use :oops:

in that way it's annoying to me

Hardcore Member

Postby SNM » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:18 pm

Sidechaining is popularly used with a Kick or Snare drum to make vocals or melodies routed into a compressor "Duck" behind the beat when these specific hits take place. Another common use of this effect is having a clap or snare routed simultaneously with a kick that takes place at the same moment to make for a "pumping" effect
<a href="http://s57.photobucket.com/albums/g225/xz4iis/?action=view&current=SNM_banniere_MR.jpg"></a>

1337 P0ZT3r

Postby SweetPeaPod » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:20 pm

Witchcraft!

1337 P0ZT3r

Postby verdroid » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:37 pm

well idd it makes totaly sense. the specific use you talk about makes it more clear to me. talking of witchcraft: who loves SIDE-effects? talking about the good ones here. like your creating a track and suddenly an unexpected sound appears wich is nice. or playing some live and in the moment theirs a build up from sounds and you don't know were they come from.......

Hardcore Member

Postby SNM » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:08 pm

Meh, "Side Effects" are a double edged sword. I find more often than not that when I am not paying attention, my most recurring side effect is cancelled out frequencies. When I start going all "free form" and not focused to the key of the track I'm working on... which takes a few moments to correct. But every once in a blue moon I get that "bonus" side effect... when you are like "WOAH how the hell did that happen!?!" and these are the rare "good side-EFX" and these are usually worth the experimenting... once you map out their origins and are able to re-create the moment. That's when the Majik happens.
<a href="http://s57.photobucket.com/albums/g225/xz4iis/?action=view&current=SNM_banniere_MR.jpg"></a>

1337 P0ZT3r

Postby verdroid » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:40 am

never realy got to the last (majik) part, but i feel ya :)

Average track rating:
2.7/5 out of 3 votes

Re:

Postby Diptych » Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:10 am

verdroid wrote:well idd it makes totaly sense. the specific use you talk about makes it more clear to me. talking of witchcraft: who loves SIDE-effects? talking about the good ones here. like your creating a track and suddenly an unexpected sound appears wich is nice. or playing some live and in the moment theirs a build up from sounds and you don't know were they come from.......

The effects i love are ones that happen when uploaded tracks are not the right sample rate or a few various other problems that cause blips ticks and gaddafutckds to occur on sound cloud or other media sites, which make me happy, though they don't appear on the original track when you download it, sometimes this can be slightly disappointing. I often accredit this to too much power in my awesome track.... though i think it just sloppy mixing.
"So, Hospitals are for cat's dogs or ambulances, I wish i could go home now."

Return to Request