Reason Thread

Want to talk about software? Editing tools? Effects Processors? This is the place to do it!

Moderators: PEPCORE, SweetPeaPod, BreakforceOne, JohnMerrik

Postby Headphoner » Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:32 pm

I'm a regular Renoise user but I recently started a college course that bangs on relentlessly about Reason. Is it really that cool? I've got the software but it all very seems unfriendly towards the breakcore sound...

Does anyone have a good tutorial, perhaps a beginners guide to fucking up your drums in reason? :)

Hardcore Member

Postby DJ Dijitol Junkey » Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:10 am

anyone have reason 4 for mac? I'm trying to get my hands on it but haven't ound it in the past 30 seconds. If any one can help directly without saying bit torrent, it would be greatly apreciated

CoreCore Member

Postby avisupchurch » Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:43 am

Headphoner wrote:I'm a regular Renoise user but I recently started a college course that bangs on relentlessly about Reason. Is it really that cool? I've got the software but it all very seems unfriendly towards the breakcore sound...

Does anyone have a good tutorial, perhaps a beginners guide to fucking up your drums in reason? :)

Stick with Renoise!

CoreCore Member

Postby avisupchurch » Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:59 am

I don't know much about the technical end of it, but I'm pretty sure that something is fucked with the way Reason plays back samples and mixes your tracks. And it's not just in the playback; the exported audio is also not quite right. The difference is subtle, and some may even say negligible. It's hard for me to understand why the designers of Reason would compromise and essentially place an unnecessary limit on how good your tracks can sound.

Maybe It's possible that using ReWire into something like Cubase or Ableton these problems are eliminated?? It doesn't seem likely to me that this would be the case, but maybe someone who has experience with that, or more knowledge of how the ReWire works, can let us know.

Maybe also they've fixed whatever the problem is with the latest version, Reason 4?

There's a lot of good things about Reason but what kills it is just the overall lack of audio quality. If you're already using Renoise and feel comfortable with it, I don't think there's much point in messing with Reason.

CoreCore Member

Postby Alan_ » Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:43 pm

from what I understand, if you circumvent the mixer/audio bus part by rewiring into cubase/nuendo/abelton, you will actually be utilizing the audio engine of the other software and not reason's.

CoreCore Member

Postby avisupchurch » Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:47 pm

Alan_ wrote:from what I understand, if you circumvent the mixer/audio bus part by rewiring into cubase/nuendo/abelton, you will actually be utilizing the audio engine of the other software and not reason's.

That's great... do you know if you can ReWire multiple tracks (via the mixer) and still get the ReWire'd audio quality? Or do you have to do it just one device at a time to be effective in that way?

CoreCore Member

Postby avisupchurch » Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:50 am

Nevermind, i guess that's why you have 64 channels for the output bus in Reason

CoreCore Member

Postby Alan_ » Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:54 pm

yeah, the only lame thing about it is that any stereo device takes up 2 audio channels in nuendo, so it's kind of annoying if you're trying to mix it in nuendo without rendering the audio down (I usually render the instruments down to 24/96 audio individually then put the individual audio tracks into a separate nuendo project and mix that way).

Three Poster

Postby beefcurtain » Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:40 am

DJ Dijitol Junkey wrote:
arcaneparadox wrote:how do you get you loops into rex, recycle?

speaking of rex/recycle,does anbody know of anything similar to rex/recycle that canbe used outside of reason. I'm talking cubase here, VSTi's. Dislike reason because it all has that same sound to it. You heard one reason made track, you can easilly pick out others.But the scream4 is pimp.
And to answer your question, I need a little more info. Are you trying to make your own break to import into reason?
In this case, you're going to have to... hey, you're from Pittsburgh too? into the rave scene any? I'm in and out... Wow, ADD Jesus Fuck!
As I was saying, making your own break with recycle. Yeah, youbasically just open up your break in recycle. not too long, you really just want like 3 bars max. Go to View>Show Grid.It asks how many bars, you answer.It places a grid in. Then sampler> add slices to grid. save and you're finished.
Opening them in reason is way easier. make a rex player, and then if Iremember correctly, there should be a little box with an arrow in it near the LCD type display. It's been several months since I've used lol I sound like a junkie... click that, that's your browser. GO FIND THAT SHIT MUTHA FUCKA!
Peace we outta hear!

you do realise you can cut up beats in cubase using the hitpoint detector. Also if you have NI kontakt, that will cut up beats, which you can then map to different keys on the sampler.

CoreCore Member

Postby avisupchurch » Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:44 am

If I am running Reason through an ASIO MOTU device, will i theoretically get better quality with my rendered audio, as well as the playback? Is that something that's handled by the soundcard, or within the computer's processor? I have a project that's nearly done and "mixed" in Reason and I'm not comfortable mixing in Cubase yet, and also I'm having trouble with the tempo syncing in the ReWire business... My Reason track is at 480 and Cubase keeps locking it at 300 (which makes no sense to me)... I'm trying to figure the best way to finish it off.

Supah No0b

Postby grobizz » Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:47 pm

hi.

I'm using Reason 3.5
I tried Reason 4 and I was very disapointed by the new design. there's a lot of good new things in it but for me I have to start from the begining with this design...so I'm gonna stay on version 3.5

CoreCore Member

Postby Alan_ » Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:59 pm

avisupchurch wrote:If I am running Reason through an ASIO MOTU device, will i theoretically get better quality with my rendered audio, as well as the playback? Is that something that's handled by the soundcard, or within the computer's processor? I have a project that's nearly done and "mixed" in Reason and I'm not comfortable mixing in Cubase yet, and also I'm having trouble with the tempo syncing in the ReWire business... My Reason track is at 480 and Cubase keeps locking it at 300 (which makes no sense to me)... I'm trying to figure the best way to finish it off.

No, as long as the audio is rendering within reason (using the mixer in reason, etc.), that's gonna happen in your processor. that's why I like rewiring to nuendo (same as cubase basically, but with an even cleaner audio engine).

so you're talking the tempo is 480 bpm? It could have something to do with an upper limit for tempo in Cubase maybe? I'm totally talking out my ass here, never had that happen, but I've never made an electronic tune that fast in my life.

CoreCore Member

Postby avisupchurch » Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:40 pm

Alan_ wrote:
No, as long as the audio is rendering within reason (using the mixer in reason, etc.), that's gonna happen in your processor. that's why I like rewiring to nuendo (same as cubase basically, but with an even cleaner audio engine).

Good to know! Thanks. Bummer I didn't go for the software with one of the cleanest audio engines.

Alan_ wrote:so you're talking the tempo is 480 bpm? It could have something to do with an upper limit for tempo in Cubase maybe? I'm totally talking out my ass here, never had that happen, but I've never made an electronic tune that fast in my life.

Holy shit, you're right... Cubase seems to have an upper tempo limit of 300. I just assumed all modern production software went to 999 at least. My track is actually 240/120, but I like using double or quadruple the tempo because that way you can sequence 128th/256th notes if you feel like it.

Maximum Pwnrdrive

Postby Lycan » Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:34 am

Reason 3.0 for now. GOOD TIMES with this shit. Does anyone else's layouts look like this:

mixer
nn19
nn19
nn19
nn19
nn19
nn19
nn19
nn19
nn19
nn19
nn19
nn19
nn19
nn19
mixer
nn19
nn19
nn19
nn19
nn19
nn19
nn19
nn19
nn19
nn19
nn19
nn19
nn19
nn19
mixer
nn19
nn19
nn19
nn19

hahahhahaha, yay sampler

Postby Benn Virus » Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:34 pm

@Lycan:
nah, mine looks like this:

Mixer
Redrum (Distortion, Compressor)
Redrum (Distortion, Compressor)
Redrum (Distortion, Compressor, Chorus/Flanger)
Redrum (Filter)
Dr.REX (Distortion, Compressor)
Dr.REX (Distortion, Chorus/Flanger)
Synth
Synth
NN19

I've still got troubles with compressor to use it the right way.

My tip:
you can create very special (and weird) effects with Dr.REX. Just pull the Dr.REX loop to a synth track. Depending on the synth, different effects emerge: from a broken-boxes-effect to distortion to losses and many more.

1.) create a Dr.REX loop (insert loop to track)
2.) cut it (optional)
3.) create synth module or NN19
4.) create melody with Matrix Pattern Editor
5.) insert to synth/NN19 track
6.) pull the loop(s) from the Dr.REX track up to synth track (make sure they overdub, so the melody won't be overwritten)
7.) be amazed

you can combine this weird sound with distortion, chorus/flanger, filter or whatever.

"Glitchy" sound without using VST-Plugins:
I'm using Reason 1.0, so I'm not able to use VST-plugins.

with Redrum:

1.) usual preparation (create Redrum module, select patch and/or samples, and so on)
2.) create beat
3.) connect Redrum module to Chorus/Flanger, Distortion, and Compressor
4.) Chorus/Flanger: everything to maximum (or near max.)
5.) Distortion: try around

with Dr.REX:

1.) usual preparation
2.) insert loop to track
3.) Chorus/Flanger, Distortion, Compressor
4.) same as above
5.) same as above
6.) Dr.REX: Oct 1 up, Filter LP12, Amount to maximum (Filter Envelope), Rate & Amount to max (LFO)

If you wish, I'll explain it to you more exactly.

but if you do it right, it might sound like this

PreviousNext

Return to Software