how do you record audio from dvds?

Want to talk about software? Editing tools? Effects Processors? This is the place to do it!

Moderators: PEPCORE, SweetPeaPod, BreakforceOne, JohnMerrik

Supah No0b

how do you record audio from dvds?

Postby KingSlaff » Sun Aug 12, 2007 4:27 pm

any software out ther that will let you sample audio from dvds ?

thanks

Hardcore Member

Postby DJ Dijitol Junkey » Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:29 pm

I forget where the setting is exactly. but you are able to set your computer, through the volume control, to record "desktop" sounds. So as long as you have a dvd player in your computer, you can record these sounds into any sequesncer that has a recording feature. I'll get back to you on this later today or tomorrow. Unless some one else beats me to it.

CoreCore Member

Postby avisupchurch » Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:38 pm

There's some free software floating around that takes audio only from a movie file like an MPEG, but I dunno about an actual DVD... I guess you'd have to rip the DVD into a movie file first, then run it through the software. Do a google search for "avi wav converter" and you should find some. What I would do instead:

1) Play the DVD on a stand-alone DVD player machine, run the RCA audio cables into a mixer (most have jacks for these I think) and into your sound card's mic input(s), then record into a program like Audacity, Cubase, Pro-Tools

2) Play the DVD on your computer and run the Audio-Out into your soundcard's mic inputs. Record into appropriate program. Just make sure your preferences are set to NOT PLAY OUT what's being recorded or you'll have some bad problems...

3) Play the DVD, run everything through the TV like I assume most normal people watch movies. Put a mic or two really close to the TV speakers. This is good for talking sound bytes sometimes when you actually want it to sound like it's coming out of a TV.... but you might have to filter and clean it up a bit to remove some noise.

CoreCore Member

Postby avisupchurch » Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:48 pm

DJ Dijitol Junkey wrote:I forget where the setting is exactly. but you are able to set your computer, through the volume control, to record "desktop" sounds. So as long as you have a dvd player in your computer, you can record these sounds into any sequesncer that has a recording feature. I'll get back to you on this later today or tomorrow. Unless some one else beats me to it.

I'm pretty sure I don't have this feature available on this computer... is that on Macs or Windows machines?

1337 P0ZT3r

Postby fap* » Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:09 pm

you might be able to do it using Sound Recorder on windows, but i never do it that way. i either use something like total recorder or i run the headphone jack out to a recording device...or other things that avisupchurch suggested up there. ^^^

in times of need i have done some creative patching to get the ripping done.

but you could prolly start at google looking for 'free dvd audio ripper' and you will come up with a bunch...even if they are limited time use free ware you should be able to pull the samples you want.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::fap*:::::

pixel mod

Postby rtificial » Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:53 pm

I've used some dvd audio rippers before and most of em are full of spyware. The easiest way and cheapest way I know of is to use a free program called audacity. Here's the link http://audacity.sourceforge.net/ Its a free audio recording/editing program about like adobe audition. There are several settings for recording audio in a drop down menu for example "microphone, line 1, line 2". I forgot which one it is, but it'll record whatever is coming out your computer speakers. Just do some trial and error and figure out which setting records that. Then all you have to do is play the dvd on your comp and record at the point you like.

Normal moderator and owner
Average track rating:
4.7/5 out of 6 votes

Postby PEPCORE » Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:05 pm

Nice, thank you, maybe i'll finally have some original vocals then :D

Supah No0b

nice one

Postby KingSlaff » Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:40 pm

thanks alot fellas. you've been a great help!

Normal moderator and owner
Average track rating:
4.7/5 out of 6 votes

Postby PEPCORE » Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:14 pm

Wow, the thing that you proposed works very nice rtificial.
Very easy and fast to use program, i like it :D

1337 P0ZT3r

Postby MarkyPoo » Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:55 am

I Sample Dvd, youtube, google vid, etc all the time with Audacity.
but I'm one of those ballsacks that dig free software.

Breakcore Member

Postby nsound » Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:21 pm

select the 'wave out' mix in audacity - if it doesnt work open the volume control and select the 'wave out' as a recording source in the advanced options

n0Ob

Postby soft25 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:23 am

DVD audio ripper is a powerful tool which can rip DVD to any audio format and enable users to shave output audios on multiple devices. Now vogsoft releases some discount DVD Ripper, all of them are first-class software with best convert and edit functions. If you happenly want to extract audio from DVD, just visit vogsoft.com to get a proper one.

Xilisoft DVD Audio Ripper 6 (14.99% discount)
ImTOO DVD Audio Ripper 6 (14.99% discount)
Aiseesoft DVD Audio Ripper (30% discount)
iSkysoft DVD Audio Ripper (17.38% discount)

Source from http://www.vogsoft.com :D

Supah No0b

Postby iridkid » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:24 pm

audio hijack?

Return to Software