linux? ubuntu?

Want to talk about software? Editing tools? Effects Processors? This is the place to do it!

Moderators: PEPCORE, SweetPeaPod, BreakforceOne, JohnMerrik

Normal moderator and owner
Average track rating:
4.7/5 out of 6 votes

Postby PEPCORE » Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:55 am

Sorry Nibiru, i accidentally edited your post instead of posting new one.

Normal moderator and owner
Average track rating:
4.7/5 out of 6 votes

Postby PEPCORE » Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:26 am

Anyways question, anyone knows samba?

I got it now.

I know how to set up dhcp pool/range and shit, but still takes me a lot off time and irl memory, so fucking hard, codes really get over my head sometimes....

Anyways, i got in a motherfucking heated discussion with my teacher, i said we already have windows 2003 server, why linux i asked, he said they use it everywhere, i asked the question because i personally prefer a gui, linux is getting annoying now, seems like dos and windows to me...., fuck do i hate linux.....

And also, i forget my root loggin name more then once, and you can just fucking reset everything in bootup...., doesen't seem safe at all to me.

n3wb

Postby abacusfinch » Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:40 pm

Well I use a GNOME desktop, thus there is a GUI. But a lot of stuff in done through command line, which makes me feel really awesome.

I use Linux to make most of my music these days just because it's extremely cheap and extensive.

Right now I use Ubuntu 8.10 with Freecycle to slice my beats, MilkyTracker to put my tunes together, Ardour and Rosegarden to sequence to music. I'm going to put some money into Renoise and EnergyXT within the next few months.

Anyways, you don't have to do everything with the command line.

Postby Nibiru » Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:04 pm

abacusfinch wrote:Well I use a GNOME desktop, thus there is a GUI. But a lot of stuff in done through command line, which makes me feel really awesome.

I use Linux to make most of my music these days just because it's extremely cheap and extensive.

Right now I use Ubuntu 8.10 with Freecycle to slice my beats, MilkyTracker to put my tunes together, Ardour and Rosegarden to sequence to music. I'm going to put some money into Renoise and EnergyXT within the next few months.

Anyways, you don't have to do everything with the command line.

Yeah, you can do hella stuff in the GUI in Ubuntu and many other modern linuxes. But having the actual option of doing advanced command line stuff is good. Using Windows is like using a car that you can't open the hood of. Being able to script things is always a good option.

There are some things that can be done using a few lines of commands that would take quite literally years to do manually in a GUI. But most people don't need to do that sort of thing anyway. The bourne shell is the same shell today, where DOS was taken apart and rewritten so many times, and had so many things hacked off of it that it is a shell of a shell.

n3wb

Postby abacusfinch » Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:16 pm

As a linux user myself, I recommend not getting into Audio Production with linux unless you do a lot of research and make sure you know what you are doing, and want to do.

Maximum Pwnrdrive

Postby rokhausen » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:58 am

Nibiru wrote:The bourne shell is the same shell today, where DOS was taken apart and rewritten so many times, and had so many things hacked off of it that it is a shell of a shell.

FWIW, I'd like to add that DOS is also a piece of kaka when it comes to ease-of-use compared with any major *nix shell environment. You soon realize how crippled DOS is/has been all along after shelling for a bit.

n3wb

Postby abacusfinch » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:47 am

rokhausen wrote:
Nibiru wrote:The bourne shell is the same shell today, where DOS was taken apart and rewritten so many times, and had so many things hacked off of it that it is a shell of a shell.

FWIW, I'd like to add that DOS is also a piece of kaka when it comes to ease-of-use compared with any major *nix shell environment. You soon realize how crippled DOS is/has been all along after shelling for a bit.

I've never been a fan of DOS, or using the Command Line. Which is another reason why I love UNIX.

Postby Nibiru » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:13 am

[/quote]

I've never been a fan of DOS, or using the Command Line. Which is another reason why I love UNIX.[/quote]

Unixes use a command line too. They all have command interpreters, and so do linuxes which were originally based on UNIX's structure. DOS is like a shitty attempt at making a UNIX-like shell.

Most Unixes use the Bourne shell. Most linuxes use a revision called the boure-again shell, or BASH. The shell is basically something that either a human or a program uses to communicate with the kernel of the operating system.

A fan of the command line actually prefers UNIX too. DOS was shite to begin with, with it's awkward to type forward slash and other shitty things, and with each new windows, the chuck out more of it's functionality to where it isn't even a real shell anymore.

Man, why am I talking about operating systems on a fucking breakcore forum? I've got to have something better to do. Aaaanyway....

Three Poster

Postby Moi » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:09 pm

u can get ubuntu for free on this link http://www.ubuntu-fr.org/telechargement?methode=shipit

Maximum Pwnrdrive

Postby rokhausen » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:04 pm

Moi wrote:u can get ubuntu for free on this link http://www.ubuntu-fr.org/telechargement?methode=shipit
we're not allowed to link to pir4t3 softwarez, the admins get mad

Previous

Return to Software