Sampler advice?

Gear Debates, Reviews, Rants, and Raves. And of course a touch of bragging.

Moderators: PEPCORE, SweetPeaPod, BreakforceOne, JohnMerrik

CoreCore Member

Sampler advice?

Postby Skornsteen » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:33 pm

Yo.
I am currently running a hardware set up which I record on tapes and then process further in cubase.
I have an SH-101 synth, electribe EA-1, akai s2000 and an HR16 with curtain modifications + alesis D4 and DM5 which can be used via midi.
Also a Korg kaoss pad..
After using my S2000 for a while, the memory is totally loaded, can't delete the kits on there since they are pretty essential and inquired a lot of work.
So, the kaoss pad isn't really usable as a sampler since its sampler function is very limited and overal crappy.
Coming to the point, I need a new sampler...
Preferably something with more then 2MB, and an internal sequencer whould work to, or maybe midi sequenceble.
I need something where I can build some librarys. Like a synth library, drum library etc.
Also, I want it to be hardware, I have computer, and I use it. But I just prefer working with hardware for this project, so dont rant me about that.
Also the audio quality isn't very important, 16, 12 bit, 8 bit all fine by me.
I was looking at a Electribe ES-1, which seems to be pretty nice but it works with smart media cards, which seem hard to come by, and are overly expensive.
I've heard about Akai MPC's series, but there so many different types I have NO CLUE what to get.
Also you have the roland MC serieus, MC 909, 303, 202.. I heard they are grooveboxes, but I wonder, can you actually record stuff on there or is it just there premade samples, which will make it totally useles.
Sooo... What's your take on this guys?
I'm kinda lost.
T

Elite!

Postby Stazma » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:15 pm

Hail guy !

I think that a MPC must the best for you. I have try two of them, the 2000 and the 2500. So, I think that if you want the best sound you have to get a 2000, it's old school and not realy expansive (you can only find used model).
If you want a powerfull sequencer but with a more "digital' sound take a 2500 (but it's realy more expensive).

Hope it will help you ;-)

CoreCore Member

Postby Skornsteen » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:10 am

Hey thanks, I'm gonna look into the MPC's a bit, mpc 2000 is pretty affordable indeed.

1337 P0ZT3r

Re: Sampler advice?

Postby verdroid » Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:44 am

Thnx for necroing this topic. Your advice sucks tough...
i'm setting money away for an elektron octatrack.
sampler and midi sequencer in one, with live performance in mind :-)

Return to Hardware