How do you perform live.

Gear Debates, Reviews, Rants, and Raves. And of course a touch of bragging.

Moderators: PEPCORE, SweetPeaPod, BreakforceOne, JohnMerrik

1337 P0ZT3r

Postby MarkyPoo » Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:05 pm

Hollanders and their knowing where they're from :roll:

Supah No0b

Postby andy° » Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:33 pm

i really want to learn how to play live,
but i have no idea where to start.
i don't have hardware :(

Supah No0b

Postby duerminator » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:06 am

For me.....Mac + Ableton + APC 40 + Novation Remote 61 SL +KORG PadKOntrol (Soon)

Postby TechDiff » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:24 am

For the most part, everything done through Reaktor and whatever midi controllers i could fit into my bag. Normally an oxygen 8, and a nanopad. But if Im feeling fruity or get a check in bag, will bundle in a bunch of other things too.

Reaktor patch is something thats been evolving for years, pretty solid now and kinda designed it to be usable for many different types of shows, great for improvising on as well.

Have done some noise shows using a Novation K station through some spectral patches and DSP stuff which was pretty cool fun. And a couple months back did a show with some fully generative patches all running on a mic input from a condensor mic in a box of gardening tools being destroyed by my housemate. Went down suprisingly well...

next plan is for a kinda improv noise set up with a gasmask with a wireless mic fitted inside, running through some pitch and vel detection on reaktor, and accelerometers fitted to the mask as well. I like the idea of putting the whole thing on, moshing into the crowd screaming like a knob, and all the movements and vocals triggering different instances inside reaktor. Maybe just a 15 min set would be pretty cool.

I like the idea of people doing wierd things for their live sets. As good as ableton is (seen people doing awesome stuff with it, check out hoonboy for some crazy DJ mashup stuff) I get more excited by people using repurposed or bespoke setups. Saw Dr bastardo playing with Max MSP which was amazing, and Xanopticon using FL, I think traktor and something else too, no idea, but was amazing to look over his shoulder. Oh, also saw Eiterherd using some freeware/open source programs on repurposed netbooks for a live set, really cool!

Always amazed by people using hardware setups too. Dream would be to have a healthy amount of hardware, a solid box for sequences (maybe an Akai) and a laptop just for final mixing and effects, but Im poor and that stuff costs loads!

n3wb

Postby Dystopia » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:56 pm

ive never had an live-show.
what is so the minimum for some live-shows? to do good live-shows.

i wanna buy someday an mixer, but what software is the best to performe live?

Postby BluEater » Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:21 pm

one that i would try out is a native instruments plugin called the finger. and another is machine by ni also. check them out their amazing

Hardcore Member

Postby Neocortex » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:21 am

BluEater wrote:one that i would try out is a native instruments plugin called the finger. and another is machine by ni also. check them out their amazing

The Finger looks interesting! (even though it's made by Tim 'attitude' Exile)

Supah No0b

Postby zbpunk » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:41 am

Korg EMX-1, Korg KP3, Yamaha MG 12/4 mix, Ableton (not so much) and whistle(so much :D ). I want to buy also Korg-ESX1.

Supah No0b

Postby 84554551N » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:57 pm

Me and a friend are going to start a "only live" project, most of the time @ rehearsal room, but someday maybe @ live shows.

Our set:

1 laptop, 1 MacBook, 1 Kaossilator, 1 Mini Kaoss, the Korg Nano set, 2 turntables, 1 Cd player, 2 Mixers, 8 & 6 string guitars, 4 basses, a Pod XT, 1 Jamman Looper, 2 microphones and 2 Midi keyboards (49 and 61 keys).

Previous

Return to Hardware