beginner

Gear Debates, Reviews, Rants, and Raves. And of course a touch of bragging.

Moderators: PEPCORE, SweetPeaPod, BreakforceOne, JohnMerrik

beginner

Postby azerbaijani » Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:16 am

hey peeps, i'm totally new to this whole scene, i was wondering if anyone could make any recommendations as to gear which can get me started, i've just ordered a korg kaoss pad 3 and i'm wondering what other gear would work well with this.

Most Valuable Poster!

Postby Silent Frog » Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:36 am

Depends what you are planning on doing. So, three questions:
1) Are you wanting to DJ, perform live or produce your own tunes?
2) Have you done any of what you are planning to do before or are you a complete novice?
3) What artists are you most wanting to sound like/who are your inspirations?

Answer them and I'm sure we'll all be happy to help!

Postby azerbaijani » Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:42 am

im hoping to produce my own tunes until i feel im comfortable enough to maybe consider live performances, i'm a complete novice, i've only ever used software to try and make stuff i.e buzz machines. preferably i'd hope to create stuff similar to aphex albeit not as good, more towards the ambient side of his stuff, but also i'd love to be able to create some venetian snares stuff.

Most Valuable Poster!

Postby Silent Frog » Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:20 pm

Well. First things first, you are going to need some software. Most people recommend Fruity Loops to start out with as it's the easiest to get your head around and start making tunes. There's plenty of threads on this forum to help you out with getting started on that in the software section.

Hardware-wise, you don't really need anything other than your computer. However, you will find it a lot easier if you get yourself a midi controller of some kind. Midi keyboards can be picked up pretty cheap and if you can buy one with assignable knobs and faders, then even better. Your Kaoss Pad will be fun but ultimately not very useful until you perform live but I think there are people here who use it for producing who might be able to tell you more.

The best thing you can do is to keep asking questions. The more you ask, the more you learn.

Postby azerbaijani » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:40 pm

cheers for the advice, i was lookin at the korg nano series midi controller, but i suppose anything will do.

Most Valuable Poster!

Postby Silent Frog » Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:03 pm

The nano series do look very tasty indeed. As I said, all you need it for is for assigning VST controls to and playing in synth lines if you have a keyboard. A midi controller is by no means essential to do either of these but it will make it easier and ultimately more fun. Plus, if you end up playing live, they become more essential, so if music making is something you really want to do, a good controller is a worthwhile investment.

Let us know how you get on!

Postby azerbaijani » Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:18 am

i've looked on ebay for some but they all seem to be quite big, and space isnt something i have, are there any which you would recommend? i've checked the Korg nano keyboard and its not expected until october, but its small and only £49. maybe if i wait it out and in the meantime learn some software stuff i mite be more prepared for when i get it.

Return to Hardware