What should I buy?

Gear Debates, Reviews, Rants, and Raves. And of course a touch of bragging.

Moderators: PEPCORE, SweetPeaPod, BreakforceOne, JohnMerrik

Supah No0b

What should I buy?

Postby Aichmophobiia » Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:51 am

I am completely new to breakcore, but I've loved it since I was a kid.
I've realized how much free time I have, and I feel like this might be a great opportunity to give this a shot.

I don't know much about making a break, but I learn quick.
I just got a rip of Ableton 8, and I have been playing around with that a bit.
I've never been big on virtual shit, so I'm curious, what hardware should I get?
Pads, keys, etc.
I'm leaning more towards a pad, being as its smaller and appears to be more manageable, but at the same time, I know nothing.

I know I'm going to sound like a total idiot, but on well.
Can I program a rush to a button?
Can I program a sample to one?
How do knobs work?

Any advise will be greatly appreciated.

Breakcore Member

Postby baconhanger » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:16 pm

before you go blow $600, and decide that making music isnt your thing...
check this out

http://keyboards-midi.musiciansfriend.c ... sku=703401

(there is also a version with pads, but id go with knobs, so you have variables... im guessing pads might be velocity sensitive, but really... you need knobs. so if you want pads, get something with a combo of both)

its like $60.

what you need to do, is read tutorials. watch tutorials on youtube.
... since you obviously downloaded abelton, you should go download some .pdf files on it. abelton manuals, and just books on audio in general. its always nice to know WHAT THE KNOB DOES, instead of turning it and being like "oh thats cool" (but have no idea what's physically happening to the sound). knowledge is key, but the point is to develop your own style, or you'll come out sounding like everyone else.

'rush'? im guessing some kinda roll/break? you could program one, sample it, and assign it to a button or pad... if thats what you choose to do.

programming samples to pads or knobs... yes.

im not going to get all smartass on ya and start describing variable resistors to you, cuz i know thats not the answer you are looking for, but pretty much, you should be able to assign a knob to any knob in your DAW pretty easily. so you turn the knob on your midi controller, and you see it move on the screen. hit record. tweak it out. wash rinse repeat.
not all knobs are assignable, like certain vsts, but with a little bit of jedi mind tricks, sometimes you can work aroud that.

your mind is your biggest tool... so go read some shit. experiment, try new things, and wait a while before you put any material out publicly. that way you dont get discouraged by some assholes (like me). make shit for yourself, dont try to impress others, and just have fun.

thats the best advise i can give ya kid

Supah No0b

Postby Aichmophobiia » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:01 am

:DDDD
Thanks alot man.
Yeah I ended up ordering a nano pad a few hours ago because it was cheap and looked pretty nice.

But yeah, I've been talking to a friend that does a lot of electropop shit and his biggest tip was patience. I know I can make some solid shit, I just need to stay focused and learn the program.

But once again, thanks alot man!

Postby kloakatriposa » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:24 pm

If you´re planning to produce some shit, a midi surface like a keyboard is very useful. You can find m-audio keyrig 49 for about 50€ (pre-owned)

Hardcore Member

Postby Perceptiko » Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:05 am

:?: Any comments on ROLAND / KORG / AKAI samplers?

Hardcore Member

Postby epilektric » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:59 pm

I have a pile of hardware here that I've pretty much given up on. Software is just so convenient and everything stays digital. Plus, the addition of visual cues in sample editing and sequencing just makes it so much nicer for me.

If I was going to buy a hardware sampler though, it'd be and Akai MPC (2000, 2000XL, etc.) They're strong pieces of equipment and versatile enough for live performances.

The best advice I have for someone getting started in music production is to learn your gear. You don't need every new product that comes out. Get a couple good pieces of gear and really learn how they work, inside and out.

It's easy to get side tracked and end up spending half a day deciding how to create one sound when you have 50 different ways to do it. If you know your gear then you will just know how to accomplish the sound you're going for because you only have a couple ways to do it. It's fast, efficient and you can get right to the business of making music. Limiting something like your gear can also help make you more creative instead of just using the latest presets from the newest gear out there.

pixel mod

Postby rtificial » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:56 pm

I always wanted an MPC but never could afford one. I got the closest best thing with my trigger finger (that was before Akai put out its own MPC midi controller).

Now I'm waiting patiently for the akai APC-40 to come out. It keeps getting pushed back.

Return to Hardware