Equipment

Gear Debates, Reviews, Rants, and Raves. And of course a touch of bragging.

Moderators: PEPCORE, SweetPeaPod, BreakforceOne, JohnMerrik

n3wb

Equipment

Postby volume_3 » Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:05 pm

I've never really tried to make breakcore music, but i'd love to learn how.

what hardware (and software for that matter) do you need?

I have a Microkorg, and a good computer. What else will i need?

(im talking stuff like Ove Naxx and PEPCORE (of this forum))

CoreCore Member

Postby avisupchurch » Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:28 pm

Software seems to be the easiest way to get started making breakcore or any kind of electronica... And if I could start over again, I'd get Renoise and Cubase 4. Renoise is cheap and super powerful, but a little challenging to get started with. (Renoise for micro-editing, Cubase for macro-edits) I think other programs might be easier to learn, though, like maybe Fruity Loops or Reason....

You don't REALLY need any crazy hardware; you can certainly get started without it (I started out just running my desktop PC through my home stereo with RCA cables and that was it) But if you want to get serious about it, you maybe will want a good external soundcard like a MOTU and some professional quality studio monitors so you can hear and mix your stuff accurately. I still make pretty much everything using software alone. Oh, and you might want a couple mics if you want to record your own samples.

CoreCore Member

Re: Equipment

Postby avisupchurch » Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:35 pm

volume_3 wrote:
(im talking stuff like Ove Naxx and PEPCORE (of this forum))

Then ask him what he suggests :wink:

Maximum Pwnrdrive

Postby vank » Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:26 pm

with a microkorg and a computer, you should be able to pull off some great stuff. just try experimenting with sounds from your microkorg, making some noisey drums and stuff. try reason or ableton live, cubase. explore all options!

Supah No0b

Postby Megatube » Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:09 pm

Hey guys ,i'm new to this breakcore . Loads of my latest experiments have been ending up as high tempo Decimated breakcore rather than the mid-tempo tracks they startout as .
Anything that can be used to make good sounds ( hard/software ) will be fijne to start , but building a studio to suit is best i i think .

I used to use a PC and some pro software ( reaktor i still use ) but find that my "customised" EMX1 , lol ( real knobs , not plastic shit ) has waht i need to make what i want .

My setup : KORG EMX1 , ROLAND SH-32 , KORG ES-1 , AXIOM-25 .

All macines complement each other brilliantly . I love the options i can explore. Dnb just is'nt Rough enough for me anymore , so i'm loving this breakcore biznez . :twisted:

Normal moderator and owner
Average track rating:
4.7/5 out of 6 votes

Postby PEPCORE » Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:07 pm

Lol only just seen this now, i dont use any hardware, i dont think you really need it for sequencing music, but for livemixing and what not i wanna buy a nice midi controller :D

And i dont get why you put me as an example, you should aim a lot higher , hehehe, i still suck donkey balls at making music, but i'm still learning to :lol:

n3wb

Postby volume_3 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:18 pm

Well i really like your music, and a lot of the songs have that really fast, manic Breakcore (im no good with genres, so i guess thats right :?) idea to them, and thats something i'd likle to be able to achieve.

I tried both Cubase and Renoise demos and couldn't get to grips woth them! I guess once you know what to do its easier. But i'll probably download one of them again and try to learn how to use it properly.

Thanks for the replies

Three Poster

Postby Hard Driver » Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:55 pm

volume_3 wrote:Well i really like your music, and a lot of the songs have that really fast, manic Breakcore (im no good with genres, so i guess thats right :?) idea to them, and thats something i'd likle to be able to achieve.

I tried both Cubase and Renoise demos and couldn't get to grips woth them! I guess once you know what to do its easier. But i'll probably download one of them again and try to learn how to use it properly.

Thanks for the replies

Stick with it. Reason is a great jumping off point. look for tutorials on the 'net.

n3wb

Postby Tektonic Plates » Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:41 pm

Yo Pepcore don't be so surprised!
I like your shit 2 :lol: So you must be doing something good.

back to topic: Try renoise some more and if you don't like the interface maybe try FL studio. Im am just learning Fl studio but it seems powerfull.
And ofcourse buy a midi controller and you are half way there :twisted:

laterzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Pwncall Member

Postby the shallow stairs » Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:11 pm

ok well for me, i find making music on the computer very uninspiring, i use a stanton t90 turntable, a behringer dx626 mixer, and a korg emx1 drum machine, however, i do record beats and cut/speed them up on the computer, but other than that, it is all hardware

The Horse Lord!

Postby HORSE FORCE » Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:30 am

Hard Driver wrote:
volume_3 wrote:Well i really like your music, and a lot of the songs have that really fast, manic Breakcore (im no good with genres, so i guess thats right :?) idea to them, and thats something i'd likle to be able to achieve.

Thanks for the replies

Stick with it. Reason is a great jumping off point. look for tutorials on the 'net.

I love Reason. I have pro tools LE, Logic Pro 8, DP 5, but i still use reason 3 for all my breakcore shit. i cant wait til i get my hands on reason 4 and its new sequencer. all you need is a program to splice samples and the nnxt in reason to make breakcore (for macs i recommend audacity cause its free and does the trick)

I've heard good things about renoise being perfect for breakcore, but haven't put the time in to learn its interface. im sure its great tho.

CoreCore Member

Postby Higgins » Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:08 pm

ive gotten the actual stuff I need to create, but preforming is in a league of its own and $500 for fucking ableton live is no fun!

n0Ob

Postby quesnelam » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:41 am

How to convert music to your ipod with itunes? Is it possible to convert music in itunes to a lower quality when you put the music on your ipod? The music in my itunes library is in high quality, but i would like to convert it to a lower quality on my ipod so i can get more music on it. Is this possible with itunes or do I need to use other software for this?

n0Ob

Postby Cytokine » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:19 am

I would recomend Reason over Fruityloops. Fruity loops is nice and easy to use but very limited with what you can do.

Supah No0b

Postby Donzig » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:31 am

I'm getting the feeling that fruitloops is best for beginers and then move onto renoise.

Next

Return to Hardware