too many (net)labels?

Discuss Independent labels.

Moderators: PEPCORE, SweetPeaPod, BreakforceOne, JohnMerrik

too many (net)labels?

Postby charlylinch » Sat May 31, 2008 8:03 pm

anyone agrees with me that there are just too many independent netlabels?
putting out crap and too little that really want to release good produced stuff?

9 out of 10 releases I download from netlabels is overproduced breakcore with too much distortion and overcompressed.

But maybe thats the way most breakcore lovers want it?

Pwncore Member

Postby thescythian » Sat May 31, 2008 9:07 pm

makes it fun. like digging through crates at a record store. gotta dig deep for the really good stuff.

patience.

There are plenty of crap releases on vinyl, or digital media pay-releases as well.

Postby charlylinch » Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:52 pm

thescythian wrote:
There are plenty of crap releases on vinyl, or digital media pay-releases as well.

you have a point there :P

n3wb

Postby ObsoleteSystems » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:07 am

problem i have with netlabels...is i can't buy vinyl from them for one. If i hear a bangin awesome track and want to spin it at my next gig, i have to go VDJ or ableton or whatever laptop software of your choice. which grows mildly annoying.

Plus, why would i waste my time uploading to a netlabel and spending all this time trying to get their "approval" when with 4 hours of my own time i could have a decent site up of my own along with connections and cross-links to about 50 other websites, making my promotions one of my own..

wait a minute...

i think i might start my own label ha ha ha. but i'd actually cut vinyl and have physical releases. --=ponders=--

Elite!

Postby weyheyhey !! » Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:57 pm

Why are netlabels so slow to put shit out? If I hand over an e.p. (complete; tagged & named properly, cover art etc) - it should take, what, 2 or 3 days at most to upload somewhere and write a description. And post a couple of myspace bulletins.

I've got a 4-track nearly complete and I'm thinking of just uploading it somewhere and putting it out on my own. No "label", just a .zip link :/

1337 P0ZT3r

Re: too many (net)labels?

Postby fap* » Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:48 pm

charlylinch wrote:anyone agrees with me that there are just too many independent netlabels?

maybe you should start a quality netlabel of your own

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::fap*:::::

Postby cursedc » Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:40 pm

I do lots of quality control at backwards records. We do digital, physical and net free releases. I've turned down some good friends of mine because the material wasn't up to par. It really comes down to personal tastes, which takes an important place in running a label.

If I like country music, most likely I'll release country music on my label. But corporate labels don't have that luxury. They have to release something that will make money, not something that is quality per say. I dunno.....
Kingdom of Consequence, Lord Chimera's Reign.
<a href="http://www.myspace.com/cchimera">Enter The Void.</a>

Maximum Pwnrdrive

Postby Fez » Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:18 pm

the new love love site'll be up soon with some awesome free music + downloads!
and physical releases coming soon!!
www.loveloverecords.co.uk

Pwner

Postby Babylon Disco » Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:37 pm

I'm just happy that my next releases will be both pressed and online. I don't think I'll ever do an online-release again.

Three Poster

Postby wlklin » Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:19 pm

hi all

N0oO0obZoR

Postby lemphek » Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:58 pm

edited
Last edited by lemphek on Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lemphek.

Elite!

Postby cuttingagent » Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:05 am

lemphek wrote:hiwilkn

there should be an 'ihatebreakcore' netlabel!

there already is.
([agent.)]

n3wb

Postby wasted » Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:37 am

I started releasing free stuff in 2006 (techincally Dec 2005) and find that the releases are actually heard more than the stuff I release on CD/Vinyl. So in a way, I'm not really sure why anyone would release physical releases... Sure, they are considered "more legit".

All this said, I think it's hard to keep standards high, but I sure try hard. But I also think people have the right to post what they want, and odds are, if you're just starting, your music isn't so hot ( I know mine wasn't!) so this leads to a few too many not so awesome releases. But what's important is to keep going, keep releasing, and keep trying to make something good! The effort means quite a bit in the long run...

Supah No0b

Postby djcrabhat » Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:32 pm

i don't think there CAN be too many free stuff on netlabels, even if its all crap. i don't want to get to heavy in to like OG-BREAKCORE-POLITICS, but releasing a bunch of tracks on the internet for free with little or no quality control is cool as hell. everyone should release as many tracks as their heart desires.

Supah No0b

Postby linheli » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:53 am

I'm just happy that my next releases will be both pressed and online. I don't think I'll ever do an online-release again.

coach outletChanel HandbagsCoach Handbags

Next

Return to Independent