Major labels - A bit of a debate

Discuss Major labels here.

Moderators: PEPCORE, SweetPeaPod, BreakforceOne, JohnMerrik

Supah No0b

Major labels - A bit of a debate

Postby Steviant » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:56 pm

As breakcore is so unrestrained and so undefined as a genre, being so disparate in it's nature, are there any acts currently signed to a major label that could be considered breakcore by casual listeners? And, if not, could breakcore become a genre of music that major labels take seriously, or at least dip their toes into, much in the same way that Sony BMG signed Satyricon (a Norwegian black metal band), despite black metal not having any 'commercial' interests, both within and outside of it's scene?

If such was the case, would the trade off of 'integrity' (IE, a freedom to do what we want without the restrictions that market-dependant music requires) against 'commercial viability' (IE: a larger audience, more money, but far less control, etc. etc.) be something that breakcore artists are willing to involve themselves in?

Just an interesting debate topic to kick things off :D.

Steviant.

Hardcore Member

Postby kazakore » Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:31 pm

What counts as a major? Elektra is a sub label of Atlantic, which is part of the Warner group. Would that count? Atari Teenage Riot and more

http://www.discogs.com/search?type=all& ... btn=Search

Never heard of it but found this on Sony. Wagdug Futuristic Unity - Nu яiot

http://www.discogs.com/release/1169523

Not sure if you'd quite count either of them but there are probably other, similar examples about...

Maximum Pwnrdrive

Postby Fez » Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:18 am

Relapse have released Merzbow.

I know thats a bit different but I was surprised.

Hates Breakcore

Re: Major labels - A bit of a debate

Postby Thallium » Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:24 am

Steviant wrote:If such was the case, would the trade off of 'integrity' (IE, a freedom to do what we want without the restrictions that market-dependant music requires) against 'commercial viability' (IE: a larger audience, more money, but far less control, etc. etc.) be something that breakcore artists are willing to involve themselves in?

Erm, considering 99.9999999999999% of artists use samples without permission.............no.

Fez wrote:Relapse have released Merzbow.

You're shitting me.

CoreCore Member

Postby Dr. Bastardo » Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:02 am

I don't think any of the proper majors will be putting out any kind of Breakcore or interesting electronic music for the foreseeable future. The industry can't be bothered to touch anything that deviates from the lowest common denominator and isn't prepared to invest in promoting anything really new. Why potentially loose millions of £/$/€ releasing somthing that will certainly piss a bunch of people off when you can just put out a band that sounds like The (insert word here). If you look at statistics the people who buy the most music are 25-40 year old men so the industry just triess to cater for what it thinks this demographic wants i.e. "real" music. Guitars but not too fast or heavy, non of that computer nonsense.

As far as the black metal analogy goes, I think you are underestimating the market for that kind of stuff. Just think about how many goth kids you see an then how many people you know who actually buy breakcore. Black metal has also been around for longer than the whole of the rave scene. Dance/electronic music is still a relatively small section of the whole market. I think the best chance of breakcore coming out on a major has to be as a sub of a sub division of a label. I think some one like relapse (are they independant or a sub) could/should put out some like Eustation.
www.myspace.com/drbastardo
"Death To All False Rave" Out Now!
Peace Off Ltd 22

Supah No0b

Postby jabbadagutt » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:06 pm

I dont think breakcore will ever make an impression on a more commercial audience, electronic music on the most part never really does. The more commercial side o0f music caters to a mostly brain dead audience that just 'dont get' music without lyrics and fail to appreciate the structure and effort that goes into producing and mixing good electronic music.

1337 P0ZT3r

Postby MarkyPoo » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:24 pm

Yeah And Besides Cold Play, Timberland, And Missy Elliot Are Better Than Anything Breakcore Could Ever Put Together.

n3wb

Re: Major labels - A bit of a debate

Postby alice automated » Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:57 pm

Thallium wrote:
Steviant wrote:If such was the case, would the trade off of 'integrity' (IE, a freedom to do what we want without the restrictions that market-dependant music requires) against 'commercial viability' (IE: a larger audience, more money, but far less control, etc. etc.) be something that breakcore artists are willing to involve themselves in?

Erm, considering 99.9999999999999% of artists use samples without permission.............no.

Fez wrote:Relapse have released Merzbow.

You're shitting me.

It was actually on the relapse sub label Release Entertainment. Someone working for them was really into noise:

http://www.discogs.com/label/Release+Entertainment

Masonna was also released. The label didn't do so well, and they decided to stop producing money as the guy running it left the company I think.

Ron of Rrrecords and Emil Beaulieau fame:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IuEIQI-bIE
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emil_Beaulieau
http://www.rrrecords.com/

was supposed to have a release on the label but it was rejected:

http://www.discogs.com/release/610153

n0Ob

Postby themidi_adventure » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:44 am

i was released on a major label. have you herd of me............no, kinda stupid, who cares, how would you feel if everyone liked experimental music. youd feel like your at an experimental music festival=awsome. not gonna happen

free pwny ridez!

Postby producer_snafu » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:36 pm

nine inch nails has made a breakcore song

the great destroyer, wait till the middle, shit gets fucking rude

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeKMJZE1tU8
\((( "D )))/ Yay clouds! ☁ ☁ ☁ ☁ ☁

n3wb

Postby romantik.berserka » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:16 pm

the problem for me is not in the major label business

The real problem is probably the increasingly part of pop mashup stuff... look at drop the lime, he play in the same night as institube... (if you don't know institube is a kind of band of electro bourgeois house they come directly from the upper class ...definetly not the party ethic that i want to spread...)

I don't know where is the problem with major... as long as you can control your image and creation (wich is a real problem..)...
Don't you wanna your tracks to be spread all over the world ?

Pwner

Postby pimperteen » Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:13 pm

romantik.berserka wrote:the problem for me is not in the major label business

The real problem is probably the increasingly part of pop mashup stuff... look at drop the lime, he play in the same night as institube... (if you don't know institube is a kind of band of electro bourgeois house they come directly from the upper class ...definetly not the party ethic that i want to spread...)

I don't know where is the problem with major... as long as you can control your image and creation (wich is a real problem..)...
Don't you wanna your tracks to be spread all over the world ?

Well, two comments on your argument:

1) Drop the lime doesn't make "breakcore" style music anymore
2) Drop the lime is a giant wobbly tit

In fact, what the hell are you trying to say man?

On the original post: WHY do you have to do one or the other? Why couldn't someone make toned-down (guided) stuff for the big labels, and make experimental stuff for the indie guys at the same?

These aren't mutually exclusive ideas, people

Of course this is all moot, because there's no money in this scene. Let me repeat that:

THERE'S NO MONEY IN THIS SCENE

thank fuck. so give that shit up please? A record label is a business not a promoter of arts or a charity. They don't have any kind of cultural obligation. If you want money, go do something else like alchemy or whatev.

Pwncore Member

Postby hatchgo » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:35 pm

producer_snafu wrote:nine inch nails has made a breakcore song

the great destroyer, wait till the middle, shit gets fucking rude

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeKMJZE1tU8

NIN is fucking the majors

Supah No0b

Postby Octanol » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:59 am

I'm just getting into Breakcore really. Venetian Snares 'ensnared' me, and I'm interested in listening to a broad selection of breakcore/IDM to get a decent feel for the so called genre.

Supah No0b

Postby Yuks » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:11 am

Maybe you should listen to Drumcorps? he rules also) Fnd his name is also Aaron

Next

Return to Major