mashing up amens with renoise (simple)

How-To's written by members of this site... Don't know how to do it? Stop crying and read.

Moderators: PEPCORE, SweetPeaPod, BreakforceOne, JohnMerrik

Breakcore Member

mashing up amens with renoise (simple)

Postby nsound » Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:49 am

1. download and install the renoise demo http://www.renoise.com/download/renoise/
2. download and install this http://www.camelaudio.com/camelcrusher.php (optional)
3. download this .xrns file http://nsound.co.uk/mus/amen.xrns

opem amen.xrns in renoise - ignore the missing plugin if you haven't got camelCrusher - just use some other compression plugin to beef up the sound.

press play (spacebar)

the first pattern is the straight sample pendulamen94.mp3

the second pattern is the same sample but cut up using the 09xx sample offset command

pattern 3 has some simple edits just using the 09xx offest command

the rest of the patterns use different simple pattern commands to play around with the beat - experiment with them. Play it back whilst looking at the sample editor to get a better idea of whats going on

bear in mind this took me about 45 seconds to make and involves no effects at all - and that all the effects can be applied to any sample - also bear in mind you can render any pattern or track to a sample with the full version of renoise - you can seriously fuck things up with this program - think about it...

thanks!

n3wb

Postby lars » Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:53 am

The 3rd step download gets me a folder called amen with a .flac file in it and a song.xml :?. Can't wait to use tutorial. Been looking for something like this for a long time.

Breakcore Member

Postby nsound » Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:58 pm

yeah that folder is the .xrns file (which is just a zip file with the samples and and an .xml file in) open the .xrns with renoise and it should load the patterns/song

n3wb

Postby lars » Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:06 am

the folder has no extension and therefore cannot be opened in reason. There is no .xrns file in the download.

Breakcore Member

Postby nsound » Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:40 pm

the download is just an .xrns file - it should be directly openable with RENOISE - not reason - that is a totally different program!

n3wb

Postby lars » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:37 pm

ahh yeah i meant renoise..Don't worry i was trying it in renoise. Anyway I click on the link to download...and it downloads a folder with no extension, just called amen. Inside is song.xml and another folder called sampledata. Inside that is a folder named instrument 00 (pendulamen94). Inside that is a .flac file. There is not file that can be opened with renoise here.

Pwncall Member

Postby s-n-s » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:05 am

it works just fine here,in renoise 2 RC1

Breakcore Member

Postby nsound » Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:55 pm

lars wrote:ahh yeah i meant renoise..Don't worry i was trying it in renoise. Anyway I click on the link to download...and it downloads a folder with no extension, just called amen. Inside is song.xml and another folder called sampledata. Inside that is a folder named instrument 00 (pendulamen94). Inside that is a .flac file. There is not file that can be opened with renoise here.

if you look at the link you can see it has a .xrns suffix - these are renoise files which are basically just zip files including the files you mention above -

click on the link and rather than save it use the 'open with' command to open directly with renoise.

what happens when you save a song in renoise? does the .xrns file show up as a folder with no extension also?

n3wb

Postby lars » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:20 am

Fixed it. I'm on a mac and safari automatically turned it into a zip file and opened it. Had to go to preferences in Safari and turn off Open "safe" files after downloading. Thanks!

EDIT: (about 30 minutes later): All I can say is thank you...so much! I now finally understand how this program works. I'm already considering buying it. Going to play with the demo for awhile first. THANK YOU!!

..ohh question..I put my amen break in and changed the measure length to it would loop properly but cant get it exact so the loop sounds normal? help?

thanks

Breakcore Member

Postby nsound » Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:58 am

maybe change the song tempo? - if you don't know the correct tempo then you can do this:

if you cut your loop down to 4 bars and then goto the sample editor screen and drag the bpm up and down until the loop ends on bar 5 that should give you the correct tempo

i tend not to use the sample sync function either as it makes things harder for me to get in time - hope this helps!

Supah No0b

Postby neuroblend » Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:15 am

Is this only for renoise 2?

Breakcore Member

Postby nsound » Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:01 pm

it should work with any version of renoise

Three Poster

Postby stuhfc1 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:27 pm

pretty kool

Supah No0b

Postby hagan » Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:10 pm

great tutorial

n3wb

Postby lars » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:21 am

So I've messed around a little but still have more questions. Are 00 04 08 and 12 supposed to fall on beats 1,2,3 and 4? How do I keep the offsets quantized with the song?

Next

Return to Tutorials