Aggresive Breakcore Sound

How-To's written by members of this site... Don't know how to do it? Stop crying and read.

Moderators: PEPCORE, SweetPeaPod, BreakforceOne, JohnMerrik

Aggresive Breakcore Sound

Postby Dread874 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:35 pm

Any tips on how to give a breakcore song some attitude, energy, or "Ooomph"? I can attempt to make some breakcore tunes, but they lack the aggressive energy heard in songs like "Cripplefight" and others.
Any Suggestions?

1337 P0ZT3r

Postby MarkyPoo » Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:18 pm

Mark Winter taught me everything I know.

Three Poster

Postby GAULNOIZE » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:35 pm

i like it :wink:

Most Valuable Poster!

Postby divtech » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:26 pm

when i use drumsounds i layer them with hard kicks sometimes, not necessarily gabber kicks or whatnot, but just really heavy sounding hits, used in tandem with constant but not overlapping bass this may be able to give your tracks what they need.

another thing i suggest is not to crowd your tracks with too many overlapping sounds, this will take away from any individual sound's importance

once you have something that sounds like it has potential you might try using a compressor a limiter or both to take down the difference between the peaks of your sounds and the volume of the rest of the sounds, this will, if done right, make everything louder but keep the track from unwanted distortion which often follows many overlapping sounds

eq'ing of specific sounds, snares, kicks etc. could possibly work in your favor, as could just finding the right sounds/samples

sometimes when i want a kick and a snare at the same time as a gabber kick, i will overlap the three, eq the snare to have no lows, then delete the very begining of the gabber kick so my sounds dont distort from overlapping, the end result being a sound that has the umph of a great kick, the smack of a snare, and the accompaniment of a residing gabber kick/bass to follow it up

hope any of this helps!

Postby ErotiCore SteNch » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:39 pm

divtech wrote:when i use drumsounds i layer them with hard kicks sometimes, not necessarily gabber kicks or whatnot, but just really heavy sounding hits, used in tandem with constant but not overlapping bass this may be able to give your tracks what they need.

another thing i suggest is not to crowd your tracks with too many overlapping sounds, this will take away from any individual sound's importance

once you have something that sounds like it has potential you might try using a compressor a limiter or both to take down the difference between the peaks of your sounds and the volume of the rest of the sounds, this will, if done right, make everything louder but keep the track from unwanted distortion which often follows many overlapping sounds

eq'ing of specific sounds, snares, kicks etc. could possibly work in your favor, as could just finding the right sounds/samples

sometimes when i want a kick and a snare at the same time as a gabber kick, i will overlap the three, eq the snare to have no lows, then delete the very begining of the gabber kick so my sounds dont distort from overlapping, the end result being a sound that has the umph of a great kick, the smack of a snare, and the accompaniment of a residing gabber kick/bass to follow it up

hope any of this helps!

hi divtech what distortion do you use on your stuff,really like the distortion on the samplepack you posted in another thread

The Horse Lord!

Postby HORSE FORCE » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:00 pm

divtech wrote:another thing i suggest is not to crowd your tracks with too many overlapping sounds, this will take away from any individual sound's importance

this ^^

good suggestions divtech!

i would add that layering should only be done when you are missing something. way too often i hear younger producers who hear two sounds "woah these are both awesome! lets put them TOGETHER" and then end up cancelling out frequencies. never blend drum sounds that are similar in sonic characteristics. if you have a snare that has a real crispy high end, try blending it with a deeper, thumpier snare to get a more full snare sound. also, filtering out the bottom end (like around 80-120 hz, somehwere in there) is key when youre using sub bass. sub bass will step all over your kicks unless you do this. also, something i have been doing for a while now that COMPLETELY changed my production is looking at the waveforms of songs when you are listening to them. take a really good-sounding breakcore track and open it in a program like audacity where you can see the waves. most good producers will have tiny gaps in between consecutive drum hits (pitched snare rolls etc.) this is achieved by setting the release evelope on your sampler as low as possible, then shift-dragging the drums to have a little bit of space between them. (try doing this with my tracks and you'll see what i mean :wink:) take the miles davis approach to breakcore and leave some space (like a couple milliseconds)

Hardcore Member

Postby Ridylan G » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:43 am

Sometimes its cool to beef up the sound of your drum breaks by playing them clean in one channel and playing it with distortion and chorus on a send channel. Or just copy the midi and make identical channels. That way you hear the clear snap of the clean break with the punch of the distorted one!!! :twisted:

Supah No0b

Postby pierreo02 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:47 pm

Bitcrusher with a tube distortion gives great feeling of energy !

Supah No0b

Postby dag451 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:02 am

Abuse a compressor. I mean high threshold and ratio. Keep the relase down at first then move the attack about. You'll find a sweet spot where the drums seem to jump out and slap you in the face. Then mess with the release time until it sounds a bit more, er... 'natural'. Then ease off your threshold and ratio until it sounds right. I keep going back and forth until I'm happy. Try it on on breaks, your drums buss/groups, and individual hits. Also, parallel processing is really helpful. I think parallel distortion/saturation and compression works well. Experiment with other stuff to see what works for you

Postby maidenchina » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:00 pm

listen to some venetian snares

n0Ob

Postby DanWandin » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:30 pm

maidenchina wrote:listen to some venetian snares

This person knows.

VSnares kicks arse.

n3wb

Postby Dystopia » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:16 pm

DanWandin wrote:
maidenchina wrote:listen to some venetian snares

This person knows.

VSnares kicks arse.

Do your own stuff, play around. have fun :wink:

1337 P0ZT3r

Postby kosmonavt » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:32 pm

use gabber kicks and amen breaks

Most Valuable Poster!

Postby divtech » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:11 pm

ErotiCore SteNch wrote:
divtech wrote:when i use drumsounds...

hi divtech what distortion do you use on your stuff,really like the distortion on the samplepack you posted in another thread

sorry i just saw this, hopefully my reply will not go unheard

diff types, i really like ohmicide but for that sample pack i ran much of the sounds through a distortion pedal outside of the computer, disto pedals are def a fun thing to keep around :D

CoreCore Member
Average track rating:
3.0/5 out of 1 votes

Postby kowalczyk » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:21 pm

Short snappy drum sounds with LOADS OF DISTORTION AND A COMPRESSOR THAT WORKS REAL HARD.

Next

Return to Tutorials