Odd time signature general topic.

How-To's written by members of this site... Don't know how to do it? Stop crying and read.

Moderators: PEPCORE, SweetPeaPod, BreakforceOne, JohnMerrik

CoreCore Member

Odd time signature general topic.

Postby Skornsteen » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:49 pm

Hey.. use this thread to explain your techniques or methods while writing in odd time signatures.
An aproach I tend to use is to start writing a melody/lead/bassline in an odd time signature.
When I got a nice smooth melody (it starts as a rough idea in my head)
Then I program drums under there, and if you don't get a nice rolling pattern, try to use accent snare drums and kickdrums that follow your lead, fill them between with wicked percussions and what ever.
What also works pretty well is to make a 4/4 beat, which will be your standard, you can ofcourse build variations on this 4/4 pattern.
After that you have finished this pattern, you build multiple patterns apart from the 4/4 pattern(s), in a 1/4 time, I recommend you to make multiple and try to adjust them to the 4/4 pattern in some way. With these 1/4 patterns and 4/4 patterns you can build 7/8, 5/4, and other timings.
Well that's my basic strategy, I'm interested in more different strategy's from other people..
And if you have any questions, hit me.

Postby Iron Attorney » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:35 am

I don't really have a strategy for writing it, I find my mind works naturally in silly time signature, however having had to try and convey these to a drummer in an old metal band, i do have some experience breaking it down. If you've got your melody or beat in mind already and are trying to work out the next layer, i find it helps to split it up into several time signatures. Using 7/8 as an example (largely cos it's my favourate time signature :D) you can split this up into 1 bar of 4 and 1 bar of 3, or 2 bars of 2 and 1 bar of 3, and so on... i'm sure you can all work the maths ;) if you count along you should work out how your riff works, whether it feels like a 1 2 3 1 2 3 4 groove or a 1 2 1 2 1 2 3 or what have you (trust me, they are quite different!)
www.myspace.com/deserthour
souncloud.com/deserthour

CoreCore Member

Postby DJ DL-44 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:43 am

I like laying down measure long chords because those are just as easy in any time signature, and then when I do breaks I tend to write a 4/4 break and then a change up to equal whatever I am in, which is probably the weakest way of doing it, but I suck.

Postby Iron Attorney » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:57 am

I wouldn't say there is a weak way of doing it as long as you get results..

I'm about to undertake a track in 15/8... i think, i've never been too graet with the second number... the first ones the only one that matters anyway
www.myspace.com/deserthour
souncloud.com/deserthour

Hardcore Member

Postby Ridylan G » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:59 am

I just count the beats as I write them. Thanks for that tip about breaking down exactly how u want ur rythems to add up to 7. or what ever time signature.

CoreCore Member

Postby avisupchurch » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:48 pm

One easy way to make 7/8 or 15/16 is to take a break that loops in 4/4 and just get rid of the last slice... since the last slice is usually a hi hat or ride or maybe a ghost snare. Then make a melody or bassline that fits with the loop. Making other odd time signatures takes a bit more creativity, though.

CoreCore Member

Postby ManInThePlanet » Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:57 am

I think I'm jaded now when it comes to 4/4, especially in electronic music, I seem to always associate it with dance music, which I'm sure everyone here despises as well. Then there's the constant thought of being perceived as copying Venetian Snares for using other time signatures, especially 7/4. Anyone else have this dilemma?

CoreCore Member

Postby avisupchurch » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:00 pm

ManInThePlanet wrote:I think I'm jaded now when it comes to 4/4, especially in electronic music, I seem to always associate it with dance music, which I'm sure everyone here despises as well. Then there's the constant thought of being perceived as copying Venetian Snares for using other time signatures, especially 7/4. Anyone else have this dilemma?

YES

I was thinking about this recently, too, and I have had the same problem... if it weren't for Venetian Snares I think I would be doing everything in an odd time signature, but I shied away because electronic music in 7/4 kind of seems like his thing; other people don't really do it. But you know what... fuck it... nobody has a copyright or patent on 7/4, which is IMO the most interesting time signature, and there is a lot of potential to do unique things with it... Lots of folk music in the world uses odd time signatures (Eastern Europe, the Middle East/North Africa), prog rock uses it, some contemporary classical music, etc. so it's not like VSnares invented 7/8 time. I think if people are comfortable and feel inspired to work in odd time signatures than they shouldn't hold back.

And one more thing... I don't know about the rest of you, but when it comes to my own music, no one really gives a shit anyways... except for maybe a handful of other people who like it only because they make similar music, and some friends who "like" it just because they're my friends. So just make whatever sounds good to you without worrying who you're copying. Last I checked my most played song had only a couple hundred plays so I'd be kidding myself if I thought ripping somebody off was really an issue.

When we make the kind of music that goes on this forum, we're really only making it for ourselves, anyways... right?

Not trying to be self-deprecating or looking for pity, just telling it like it is... and I have a feeling this is probably true for at least a couple others out there reading this.

CoreCore Member

Postby avisupchurch » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:58 am

Postby Iron Attorney » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:22 pm

Sick track! I might go cut that with some venetian snares ;)

I've been getting really into the 5/4 thang lately. Thinking i might write a whole set in it.

Got this track from a while back that kicks into 5/4 at 2:56

https://soundcloud.com/deserthour/time- ... king-title

CoreCore Member

Postby avisupchurch » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:53 pm

Thanks man, yes 5/4 can also be really interesting... your track sounds pretty chill... honestly, I like the part of the track before it goes into 5/4 better :] If it were me I would either add more layers (to the percussion in the 5/4) or make it just a bit shorter (I have a short attention span for listening.) I dig the dumbek (or w/e that high-pitched hand drum is) samples and also the "squirrely synth." But then again that track was posted about a year ago (on Soundcloud) so maybe you're not so much looking to get feedback on it :]

Postby Iron Attorney » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:16 pm

Nah feedback is always good :D as you might be able to tell I have a really long attention span (for some things) I blame tool for this

Not sure what the drum sample actually is, got it off the world drum preset on FL studios Direct Wave

CoreCore Member

Postby ManInThePlanet » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:16 am

Yeah, Avis, it really is a genre of music generally made by the producer for the producer himself, done completely out of self-satisfaction, so to hell with anyone that doesn't like it, and kudos to anyone that wants to listen to our noise! :D

That being said, I'm obsessed with 5/4. So many cool rhythms to be made with it.

Postby Iron Attorney » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:02 pm

For sure! Post us some examples of your 5/4 brutality ay?

teh_pwner

Postby S2K08 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:07 pm

Vidaa by Snares is the best example of 5/4 being jizzalicious I think
just memes and donks these days
http://www.soundcloud.com/sherekahnn

Next

Return to Tutorials