Making Breakcore for Dummies

How-To's written by members of this site... Don't know how to do it? Stop crying and read.

Moderators: PEPCORE, SweetPeaPod, BreakforceOne, JohnMerrik

Supah No0b

Postby Donzig » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:48 am

FL is easier to use than I thought. I make wicked tunes.

n3wb

Postby daed » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:42 pm

As much of an underlying resentment against FL as I have developed after making the switch, I do have to say; it is a very good program for beginners because it is very easy to learn.

I've just personally found that switching to a tracker has not only sped up my workflow, but helped me be more creative in my productions.

If FL works for you; go for it.
Hell, I heard Xanopticon's "Liminal Space" was entirely produced in Fruity Loops 4, and WISP only produces in FL.

Supah No0b

Postby Konnector » Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:37 pm

I have renoise but I hear that Skale tracker is pretty similar, and it's free.

http://www.skale.org/

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fevvrORKTSE&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fevvrORKTSE&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Pwncall Member

Postby brokoloid » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:16 am

daed wrote:As much of an underlying resentment against FL as I have developed after making the switch, I do have to say; it is a very good program for beginners because it is very easy to learn.

I've just personally found that switching to a tracker has not only sped up my workflow, but helped me be more creative in my productions.

If FL works for you; go for it.
Hell, I heard Xanopticon's "Liminal Space" was entirely produced in Fruity Loops 4, and WISP only produces in FL.

i know this... but reading this topic really makes me go into renoise soon :D

Supah No0b

Postby .Tarnished. » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:23 am

I have been trying to switch from FL Studio to another program for a while now. Is renoise just more complex?

Supah No0b

Postby badiKal » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:15 am

I appreciate the links. I've been a flstudio tard for far too long!

Supah No0b

Postby pops88 » Sat May 08, 2010 1:21 pm

Would Renoise be advised for someone who's never made digital based music before? I've played in live bands my whole life and recorded a lot but I've never built a tune using a DAW and have become quite interested?

I've downloaded Renoise but haven't had a chance to play with it yet. Does it work with Native Instruments?

Pwncall Member

Postby s-n-s » Wed May 12, 2010 11:33 pm

yep renoise works with all vsts

Supah No0b

FL Studio

Postby Matt-hoo » Sun May 16, 2010 2:23 pm

FL isn't that bad. I love Slicex. The crazy stuff I've done with that plugin...

Mind you, if I'd heard of renoise some time ago I probably would have used that as I was using FastTracker 2 in the '90s.

I'm so used to FL Studio and use it well enough that it seems pointless to switch DAWs.

Supah No0b

Postby pops88 » Sun May 16, 2010 9:42 pm

S2K08 wrote:(and BTW, suggesting Renoise to someone who doesn't even know what a tracker is is str8 up ridiclous dood)

Not trying to start a debate or anything but I've never made electronic music before. I've put about 120 hours into learning how to use Renoise and it's come on so quickly after the initial fog of confusion passed that I haven't been discouraged and whilst I'm not making anything to write home about I am making recognisable, okay breakcore drum loops. I haven't really tried using any VSTs with it but so far it has been a very in depth immersion learning curve. One other thing though is that I think it depends on how your thought process works, it feels much more mathematical. Almost like computer programming.

So to anyone else that's new just jump in, grab a Renoise demo, read their wiki, download a few sample tracks and just piece it all together.

Supah No0b

Choice of DAW

Postby Matt-hoo » Wed May 19, 2010 3:58 am

I guess you're going to be more comfortable with whatever you use first or use regularly. There's so much good software out there, it probably doesn't matter what you use.

I must say I am interested in ReNoise as a second package. Expand my horizons, etc etc.

Supah No0b

Postby Spets » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:46 am

I use FLStudio 9 and so far haven't found any limitations of any sort in expressing my musical talents.

After reading this, I will check renoise out. But I must say that combinig FL with Native Instruments so far has been more than enough for me.

Supah No0b

Postby mrl3nn » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:08 pm

Thanks allot!

Supah No0b

Postby argiflex » Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:32 pm

Renoise is great for breakcore. You might want to get an effectrix clone to go along with it, though.

CoreCore Member

Postby Skornsteen » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:15 am

S2K08 wrote:I'm good with premiere too, and fruityloops works more or less the exact same, putting clips on a timeline, I recomend that.

(and BTW, suggesting Renoise to someone who doesn't even know what a tracker is is str8 up ridiclous dood)

Ok, and suggesting fruity loops to someone who doesn''t know what a DAW stands for is not ridiciulous?

PreviousNext

Return to Tutorials