Setting up fl studio standard compressor

How-To's written by members of this site... Don't know how to do it? Stop crying and read.

Moderators: PEPCORE, SweetPeaPod, BreakforceOne, JohnMerrik

Hardcore Member

Setting up fl studio standard compressor

Postby jimmusician » Sat May 15, 2010 10:36 pm

ok, I know this sounds like a stupid post, and it probably is, but seriously the compressor is driving me nuts. Actually, its both the limiter and compressor in FL studio 8 (i'm not using the limiter). My issue is simple: I want to set up the compressor to keep a consistent flow of volume when I press the play key.

I keep hearing this slight rise in volume as I listen to the track playing, or I hear this "pop" sound from the very first beat when I hit play. If I set the attack and release too short (like to the least I can get it, I get a big boomy distorted sound (I also don't want that, but at least its playing at a uniform volume.)

All this is affecting my ability to concentrate as I'm writing my stuff (I like to listen to loops I make before I start ordering things)

Can anyone help me?

CoreCore Member

Postby MrKoekje » Sun May 16, 2010 8:01 am

Maybe you're compressing things too much.

Elite!

Postby Stazma » Sun May 16, 2010 10:25 am

I think that yhe best thing you can do is to don't use the standart FL compressor cause it's one of the worste virtual compressor I have ever try.
If I have understand well what you want to do you must use a limiter (it will keep the volume under 0dB and make the signal louder).
Try to download a good limiter like the wave L2, Izotope Ozone or Oxford native limiter; they are the best limiting plug-in I have try.

And when you are using a limiter, one important thing is to not make it work in red all the time or your sound will be distorded as fuck. Put the limiter on your channel or master; adjust the threshold and stop when you see the gain reduction witness at - 3 dB MAXIMUM or you will have a lot of distortion.

I hope my explanation is not too confuse hehehe.

Good luck ;-)

free pwny ridez!

Postby producer_snafu » Sun May 16, 2010 11:22 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_range_compression

you'd be surpprised how much you'd learn from just actually reading
\((( "D )))/ Yay clouds! ☁ ☁ ☁ ☁ ☁

teh_pwner

Postby S2K08 » Sun May 16, 2010 12:59 pm

haha I dont even know what a limiter does, or a compressor for that matter. not that I really care, but a simple one sentence answer for each of those would be nice
just memes and donks these days
http://www.soundcloud.com/sherekahnn

Hardcore Member

Postby jimmusician » Sun May 16, 2010 1:22 pm

producer_snafu wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_range_compression

True, on the other hand reading really just has this great unique impact on a person that he'd rather not deal with the subject anymore because hes sick of jargon being thrown past him when he could have made quick tweaks in minutes and had gotten by the problem.

Hardcore Member

Postby jimmusician » Sun May 16, 2010 1:23 pm

S2K08 wrote:haha I dont even know what a limiter does, or a compressor for that matter. not that I really care, but a simple one sentence answer for each of those would be nice

nah they can't do that. lol

free pwny ridez!

Postby producer_snafu » Sun May 16, 2010 6:36 pm

that's just being lazy, you really need to get all the knowledge you can get, especially for free if you plan on making your hobby a career.
\((( "D )))/ Yay clouds! ☁ ☁ ☁ ☁ ☁

Elite!

Postby Stazma » Sun May 16, 2010 7:02 pm

producer_snafu wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_range_compression

Thanx for this snafu this is realy interresting and explanied realy well ;-)

Three Poster

Postby the_sagga » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:25 pm

useful

Return to Tutorials