How are trackers different from FL Studio/Logic Pro

How-To's written by members of this site... Don't know how to do it? Stop crying and read.

Moderators: PEPCORE, SweetPeaPod, BreakforceOne, JohnMerrik

Three Poster

How are trackers different from FL Studio/Logic Pro

Postby gbenshalom89 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:12 pm

Hi sorry for my newbness on this subject, but I've been working with Logic Pro 8 for a few years now with mild successes. I hear a lot of talk about Renoise being the shit and also being the latest in tracker software. What is a tracker and how is it used that is different from other DAW's like the ones listed above?

The Horse Lord!

Postby HORSE FORCE » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:48 pm

logic, pro tools and all those frooty loops stuff go left to right.

trackers go up to down. trackers also tend to have a faster workflow if you know all the code names for stuff. i would stick to logic and learn that if youre still a noob, then, once it becomes boring switch to renoise. reason i say that is cause you can always rewire renoise later (providing you have the latest version)

logic is also the best for pretty much anything but breakcore (especially if you have a mac, which im assuming you do)

hope i was helpful, dont really post that much anymore.

Three Poster

Postby HEXADECI » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:26 pm

HORSE FORCE!!

hi. :o

people use different software and work in different ways. but it doesnt matter as long as your doing something good!

im a tracker kinda guy and im not that familiar with side scrolling stuff last time i did something in that sorta way with music 2000 on the playstation..

CoreCore Member

Postby DJ DL-44 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:33 pm

Basically what Horsey said, your horizontal is vertical and your vertical is theoretical. If you are a visual thinker then trackers are probably not for you.

1337 P0ZT3r

Postby SweetPeaPod » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:41 pm

i used LogicPro for a long time.. i like it. even for breakcore

Maximum Pwnrdrive

Postby AfA62 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:09 am

I'm changin' from FL to renoise and it look good for micro-rythm and stuff like IDMish, can't wait to know how to use it correctly...

Three Poster

Postby gbenshalom89 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:36 am

Whats so great about the vertical style? How does this help with breakcore specifically? btw thanks for the responses.

1337 P0ZT3r

Postby SweetPeaPod » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:49 am

maybe do a search on youtube for a tut about using traktors n' shit...
if you wanna quick demo.. sorry if it's lame help

maybe start looking somewhere around here
http://www.renoise.com/board/index.php?showtopic=7366

im sure you'll find better videos and discussions

Supah No0b

Postby Delinquent Dialect » Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:13 am

the main point is quick edits, being able to key in variations very quickly and precisely.

in a traditional DAW, you are working with audio and you more less cut rearrange that audio and it all works in a kinda virtual studio way. ie its like cutting pretend tape up, then having an effect on a buss or instrument channel.

in a tracker, traditionally you work with small samples (today its a little different), when you program in the tracker youre not arranging the sample like virtual tape, you are telling the sampler to play the sample, and at each step you can change pitch, direction, pan etc. And because you do this by programming with your QWERTY keyboard, once learnt it becomes very fast and intuitive, much faster than playing with virtual tape with the mouse.

You can get the same results in any DAW as you can in a tracker, the difference is in how its done.

dont know if this clears it up a bit, im no expert with Renoise.

Maximum Pwnrdrive

Postby Fez » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:19 pm

trackers use interpolation which gives it a mega precise sound....i personally prefer sounds made with blatant human knob twiddling and even (dare i say it) errors.

Supah No0b

Postby a_jordania » Tue May 29, 2012 3:09 am

I'm messing around with Renoise now and after I chop my drums and assign each sample to each column, the drum break plays back like a machine gun. The original swing and rhythm is complete compromised.

Return to Tutorials