Routines

How-To's written by members of this site... Don't know how to do it? Stop crying and read.

Moderators: PEPCORE, SweetPeaPod, BreakforceOne, JohnMerrik

Elite!

Routines

Postby ohmega sir » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:35 pm

On kinda the same note as Stamza's post(about the forum dying) i was wondering what routines everyone has before the sit down to make a track

Me personally i have to have a few bottles of an energy drink (redbull, relentless etc) a full pack of smokes and a few years ago i made a bowl from an old vinyl and i fill that with crisps(chips) then i have to sit down find a sample or melody i want to work around get the basics down, smoke a joint and put the parts ive made into place

CoreCore Member

Postby DJ DL-44 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:29 pm

My routine tends to affect what I produce. If I am sober I tend to make more traditional compositions, I will sit down and try to make chord progressions that sound like how sober I am. When I get baked then all I seem to care about is sampling, often I don't even add breaks I just sit there with sliced and diced commercial rap beats or something. Either way though I have to have a pitcher of blue raspberry lemonade kool-aid, or some thick ass iced tea.
When I am drunk I just make and listen to one snare rush, forever.

Pwner

Postby Draegg » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:44 am

I work best at night (so emo). I´ve been using fl studio since 2005 and just switched over to ableton after years of pussying out. Im still trying to find my workflow and learn the program, im making mad progress and that makes my creative juices squirt all over the place. Oh and snus is very important!

Supah No0b

Postby Nova_Dose » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:20 pm

I have been neglecting production recently but i used to make sure ive got a cup of tea and tobacco or sometimes a joint in hand

Pwner

Postby DISEMBOWELLED » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:36 pm

if the sun is out then I won't get a lot done. its gotta be night time.

and I have to be sober. I don't smoke, and whenever I try producing when drunk I usually wake up to find a track with air raid sirens running constantly throughout the whole thing.. subtlety goes out the window lol

Postby SideshowKenny » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:12 am

I take a dozen eggs and break em in a glass with tabasco and down it!

n3wb

Postby Vanessa Hudgens » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:56 am

I make sure I bust my nut first so I don't get horny or some shit. Then I throw on my winamp and hit shuffle then I am like YEAH that sounds good, I want to try that... then it goes from there. and some kind of drink of course
I'm a cyborg, but that's ok.

1337 P0ZT3r

Postby verdroid » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:55 pm

most of the time, i just fack around with ableton. Kind of brainstorming. I'll make dif kicks, synths, just play around. Make it sound all different and some how matching together by fx. Then take the best parts, and build from that.
2-5hours later i have something to start with and i listen to it for 1-2day(s)
At this point i have enough inspiration and knowhow to get everything right. After this its all about fine tuning and mastering.

Pwner

Postby meatsweeper » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:13 am

No routine as such, just anytime I get a chance I will work on numerous projects.

Usually I will listen to other tracks before going in for a session to get influence and be inspired.

If I know i'm going to have a lot of time on the studio then I will always ensure I take regular breaks to rest my eyes and more importantly my ears so that things don't become distorted (in the sense that I hear things louder/quieter after a long time -not actual distortion because that's a given).

First of all I will prob find a kick/snare that I like then build the tracks round that (not always but it's a good start) then I will out the ideas into Ableton session view and try to make different sections before arranging, usually bouncing down different versions of beat with different effects/automation/modulation for resampling later on.

I tend to EQ as I go as I find doing it at mixdown is struggle, mentally and on CPU.

Oh yeah and I always make sure that there are beers in the fridge ; )

Sure theres lots more stuff I do as well but can't thin right now!

1337 P0ZT3r

Postby verdroid » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:53 pm

meatsweeper wrote:Oh yeah and I always make sure that there are beers in the fridge ; )

mmmm....beer :p

Pwner

Postby DISEMBOWELLED » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:49 pm

Oh yeah, another thing I've started doing recently that is really helpful - I have two different types of sessions, one for sound design, and one for actually making tracks.

I find that making tunes is much easier when you've got sounds (breaks, kicks, basses whatever) already nicely layered up, processed and ready to go... so sometimes I'll just sit down and find a break that I like to start with, and focus purely on the processing (eq, distortion, comp etc) and then when I'm happy with the sound bounce it down and resample or save it as an ableton rack with macro controls assigned and everything labelled properly so I'll remember how it works when I come back to it.

Then later when I'm ready to actually compose something I know "oh yeah, I built that break last week, it will go in nicely here".... so basically by splitting up the process like that I find that I can be much more productive with my time 8)

Most Valuable Poster!

Postby divtech » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:08 am

DISEMBOWELLED wrote:Oh yeah, another thing I've started doing recently that is really helpful - I have two different types of sessions, one for sound design, and one for actually making tracks.

I find that making tunes is much easier when you've got sounds (breaks, kicks, basses whatever) already nicely layered up, processed and ready to go... so sometimes I'll just sit down and find a break that I like to start with, and focus purely on the processing (eq, distortion, comp etc) and then when I'm happy with the sound bounce it down and resample or save it as an ableton rack with macro controls assigned and everything labelled properly so I'll remember how it works when I come back to it.

Then later when I'm ready to actually compose something I know "oh yeah, I built that break last week, it will go in nicely here".... so basically by splitting up the process like that I find that I can be much more productive with my time 8)

i do the exact same thing, this winter practically all i did was sound design/manipulation, i felt like i stopped writing tracks all together but things are picking back up now thanks to such a huge bank of crazy sounds i have now.

CoreCore Member

Postby avisupchurch » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:17 pm

Vanessa Hudgens wrote:I make sure I bust my nut first so I don't get horny or some shit

This :P

Also
divtech wrote:
DISEMBOWELLED wrote:Oh yeah, another thing I've started doing recently that is really helpful - I have two different types of sessions, one for sound design, and one for actually making tracks.

i do the exact same thing, this winter practically all i did was sound design/manipulation, i felt like i stopped writing tracks all together but things are picking back up now thanks to such a huge bank of crazy sounds i have now.

I think this is key... I'm just now getting back to producing after taking a long (4 year) break but now I'm trying to do some things differently... Back in the old days I spent a lot of time on projects but I was pretty disorganized. Now, I have shorter sessions (like 1 or 2 hours at a time) which means it can take up to a month to complete a track, but it's better because I make better use of my time, and my ears are fresher and allow me to make better decisions. Also I've been keeping a notepad with me so if I get an idea while riding the train to work I can write it down and try it out later in my next session...

So lately, I've been waking up early in the morning, drinking a coffee and smoking a j, and sitting down with one specific objective (i.e. make a lead synth, re-edit this drumpart) and really take the time to make sure that that one thing gets done properly. It's kinda slow, but w/e... making something sound great takes time (unless you're just really, really good, and can make an amazing track in a day or two)

Supah No0b

Re: Routines

Postby Watt tha fuck » Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:51 pm

I wait a night when i hardly want do music (no good headphones but terrific monitoring) - so i must wait the morning to start. If i still want to do music the next day, i know i will produce a track. When i start on the track, most of the time i start by synth for get the colour and tones then i try to do a totally new rythmik i never done before. I past 3 hours on 2 or 3 days (depend of inspiration) to do and finish my track, then i often wait the next month to get inspiration again for something new.

When i began to do electronic music, i was just smoking all day and making 4 hours of music every day for 2 years.Then that reduce, year per year. More i do music, less i can do. Actually if i smoke a joint before, i just will be completely demotivated and go play to some RPG. But beer and cigaret still work.
Sorry for my english.
https://soundcloud.com/wtf-live

Normal moderator and owner
Average track rating:
4.7/5 out of 6 votes

Re: Routines

Postby PEPCORE » Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:53 pm

Watt tha fuck wrote:I wait a night when i hardly want do music (no good headphones but terrific monitoring) - so i must wait the morning to start. If i still want to do music the next day, i know i will produce a track. When i start on the track, most of the time i start by synth for get the colour and tones then i try to do a totally new rythmik i never done before. I past 3 hours on 2 or 3 days (depend of inspiration) to do and finish my track, then i often wait the next month to get inspiration again for something new.

When i began to do electronic music, i was just smoking all day and making 4 hours of music every day for 2 years.Then that reduce, year per year. More i do music, less i can do. Actually if i smoke a joint before, i just will be completely demotivated and go play to some RPG. But beer and cigaret still work.

Lol, good protocol to follow. Especially the beer and cigarettes. :P

Next

Return to Tutorials