making detailed, clear sounding spatial idm breakcore

How-To's written by members of this site... Don't know how to do it? Stop crying and read.

Moderators: PEPCORE, SweetPeaPod, BreakforceOne, JohnMerrik

Supah No0b

making detailed, clear sounding spatial idm breakcore

Postby disposition » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:06 pm

Can anyone please share some tips on how one goes about creating the types of percussion heard on the Datach'i shock diamonds stuff like thishttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6n0iQARVQ8 and the Venetian Snares chome cylinder box album where the sounds seem to have a 3d almost wet sound to them? Would these be more likely to be individually programmed sounds or breaks that have some how been chopped down with a low decay and then processed? I am also guessing that there is some serious stereo widening and panning going on... but it sounds so... 3d!

Anyone who has any clue about how to do this sort of thing or has seen a good tutorial/ resource please share.

1337 P0ZT3r

Re: making detailed, clear sounding spatial idm breakcore

Postby kosmonavt » Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:24 am

disposition wrote:Can anyone please share some tips on how one goes about creating the types of percussion heard on the Datach'i shock diamonds stuff like thishttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6n0iQARVQ8 and the Venetian Snares chome cylinder box album where the sounds seem to have a 3d almost wet sound to them? Would these be more likely to be individually programmed sounds or breaks that have some how been chopped down with a low decay and then processed? I am also guessing that there is some serious stereo widening and panning going on... but it sounds so... 3d!

Anyone who has any clue about how to do this sort of thing or has seen a good tutorial/ resource please share.

For the 3d sound, panning! and just find/make the right samples. It's probably best to make them yourself with a synthesiser, screwing around with a low decay indeed. Layer your synthesised sounds with a more organic sample if you want to make them sound more organic. The possibilities are endless!

And really put a lot of time in your sequencing, don't just do something random because it won't work.

Elite!

Postby ohmega sir » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:41 am

where are you from? there is a magazine in the UK called ComputerMusic and this months issue has a big section on making IDM type procussion if ur in the UK you should pick it up and if not you may be able to get it online!
SPLATTERKORE!!!!!!!!!

n3wb

Postby TwoThreeZero » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:56 pm

Shock Diamonds and HCCBU are two of the most well produced albums I've ever heard. Even Datachi's older stuff has fantastic clarity. I'm pretty sure he's a freelance sound designer now or something.

What kosmonavt said is pretty bang on, if a little ambiguous. This type of sound probably only comes with years of experience, unfortunately.

Pwner

Postby Draegg » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:35 am

I think the most important thing is CLEAN SOUNDS. Try finding some clean drumsamples. All the dirt should be added later in the game. Just my two cents though.

1337 P0ZT3r

Postby verdroid » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:26 am

Draegg wrote:I think the most important thing is CLEAN SOUNDS. Try finding some clean drumsamples. All the dirt should be added later in the game. Just my two cents though.

i always toughed this is bullshit, then i found CLEAN samples (from SNM :)) and idd: just like draegg says....

CoreCore Member

Postby ManInThePlanet » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:27 am

I just started learning how to pan sliced drums a few days ago. I use FL Studio 8, so if you also use that, open Slicex, open your break of choice, then right-click any slice you want to pan. Go to the wrench icon and go to Amp. Then you can pan that slice wherever you want. I can't seem to do the same on Fruity Slicer, so I guess now my new favorite slicer is Slicex. Hope this helped :D

teh_pwner

Postby S2K08 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:07 pm

ManInThePlanet wrote:my new favorite slicer is Slicex.

personally, I slice everything by hand in the playlist view

you can edit the panning of any individual note in the piano roll though (bottom left, "target control menu"); as well as the channel panning (although the channel controls can get pretty messy, but you can use LFO on them with ALT + O (I think) - but as I said that gets messy)

http://www.image-line.com/support/FLHel ... noroll.htm - "13. Right-click here - As an alternative way to open the Target Control menu (4)."

But as far as making that special sounding shit, I'm no expert, but I'd just put loads of reverb and delay on it and throw a few reversed cymbals over any sound, distort it, and then yeah that's my trade secret.
just memes and donks these days
http://www.soundcloud.com/sherekahnn

CoreCore Member

Postby ManInThePlanet » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:33 pm

I'll definitely have to study up on that, I'm always surprised by what I find with this program.

CoreCore Member

Postby ManInThePlanet » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:01 pm

Wow, thanks for the advice S2K08, this is a lot easier than using Slicex to set a permanent panning to each slice, or using an automation clip.

Hardcore Member

Postby thesavageapesofmars » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:09 pm

Lots of high-end in your mix, short cut-off sounds, stereo enhancers and right use of reverb. Also delays on the high-end sounds with a very short time and some stereo-seperation, makes them sound more like retriggers or rushes.

1337 P0ZT3r

Postby verdroid » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:53 pm

I love you guys for having these topics :-) :-! :-X

CoreCore Member

Postby avisupchurch » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:46 am

thesavageapesofmars

Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:09 am
Lots of high-end in your mix, short cut-off sounds, stereo enhancers and right use of reverb. Also delays on the high-end sounds with a very short time and some stereo-seperation, makes them sound more like retriggers or rushes.

I always thought that the high frequencies was something Venetian Snares did because he was losing his hearing (not that I ever heard that anywhere; I just assumed it to be true since he's obviously spent many hours of his life editing his tracks.) But I also know that higher frequencies are perceived as being more directional than lower frequencies, which means panning and stereo separation can then be even more effective... so that makes a lot of sense. Cheers

Normal moderator and owner
Average track rating:
4.7/5 out of 6 votes

Postby PEPCORE » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:51 am

ManInThePlanet wrote:I'll definitely have to study up on that, I'm always surprised by what I find with this program.

I have this too, always learning new stuff. :D

Return to Tutorials