Beginner breakcore with logic

How-To's written by members of this site... Don't know how to do it? Stop crying and read.

Moderators: PEPCORE, SweetPeaPod, BreakforceOne, JohnMerrik

Supah No0b

Beginner breakcore with logic

Postby a_jordania » Sun May 27, 2012 7:58 am

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping there's a simple answer to this. After chopping up a loop in Logic and rearranging all of the parts in the piano roll, the beat has an annoying high pitched clicking sound between each individual sample in the sequence when played. Does anyone know what this could be?

Thanks

1337 P0ZT3r

Postby SweetPeaPod » Sun May 27, 2012 2:30 pm

I'd take a closer look at you beginning and endings of the sample slices you've made. Make sure you're not including sounds you dont want. Or is the sound you're hearing sound exactly the same each time? Like a 'ring' effect?

Supah No0b

Postby a_jordania » Sun May 27, 2012 4:44 pm

It's not a ringing effect but more like "air" between each sample. I'm going to edit my samples more accurately and see if it fixes it.

Thanks!

Supah No0b

Postby a_jordania » Sun May 27, 2012 9:53 pm

I don't know if this is bad form on this forum, but I'm hoping to sneak in a pt.2 question . 8)

I'm trying to get the same effect of note pitch changing to my remodeled break from the piano roll. This dude does it like so with FL Studio http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UokV3o8A-I at 1:25. Do I access hyper editor or Automation to achieve the same effect in Logic? As of now I can't find any specific online tutorials and both methods ain't workin' for me.

1337 P0ZT3r

Postby SweetPeaPod » Mon May 28, 2012 12:46 am

Automation, for sure

1337 P0ZT3r

Postby SweetPeaPod » Mon May 28, 2012 12:52 am

...... Given it's a midi track, and not just audio clips placed in the track. You did say piano roll right ;)

1337 P0ZT3r

Postby verdroid » Mon May 28, 2012 7:51 am

cool, never worked with logic, so i don't get word of what your saying. Still a good topic. :D

Supah No0b

Postby a_jordania » Mon May 28, 2012 3:02 pm

I'm definitely missing a step or confusing something.

These are the step that I've taken:

1) dumped an audio sample into logic, chopped up the parts I wanted in samples.

2) Converted the regions to new sampler track

3) rearranged all the sample parts to my liking in piano roll.

4) Jumped back to the sequencing screen where I triggered the automation.

5) At that point I can mess around with the volume, but the pitch bend up or down doesn't work. What am I missing? and how do I get it to work?

1337 P0ZT3r

Postby SweetPeaPod » Mon May 28, 2012 4:22 pm

Dont focus on your sampler... Use the automation for pitch from the actual track... From the arangement window i believe.. By your i/o of the track should be the automation controls you want. Draw or record your automation on your arangement window. Been a while since iused, so sorry if im not helping.

Supah No0b

Postby a_jordania » Mon May 28, 2012 7:55 pm

Thanks for your response! It helped me investigate further. All that needs to be done is select Audio Units > Apple > Pitch, then from the grey box when in Automation mode, select AUpitch > Pitch. It works pretty well. Now what other tricks does Logic have to mess up yer beats...hmmmm

Supah No0b

Postby a_jordania » Tue May 29, 2012 9:50 pm

I'll keep adding to this thread instead of starting a new one. Logic is turning out to be tricky to work with since there are very few if almost no good breakcore tutorials out there. Most of them seem to be for FL Studio, but alas, I only have a mac with not enough RAM to run windows on it.

Anyone have any idea how to add the industrial, high-pitched, clangy blips behind drum-breaks as demonstrated in this Vsnares track? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdaHrbjTLvc

Is this achieved by just adding synth sounds? or can it be achieved through some type of modulation effect on the break?

Return to Tutorials