I AM MORE HARDCORE THAN YOU

Just say whatever you want.... spam, hate on things... whatever you want. Topics deleted after 2 weeks of inactivity.

Moderators: PEPCORE, SweetPeaPod, BreakforceOne, JohnMerrik

What is the ultimate goal of breakcore/what makes some breakcore better than other breakcore?

Poll ended at Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:29 am

popularity
No votes
commercial success
6%
"hardcore"-ness
25%
complexity
19%
innovation
34%
musicality
16%

Total votes : 32
The Horse Lord!

I AM MORE HARDCORE THAN YOU

Postby HORSE FORCE » Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:29 am

i have been thinking a lot lately about the ultimate purpose of the music we strive to create. what is the goal? is there any goal, or are we just creating music for the sake of necessity?

personally, i feel like there is some sort of competition in all of us hardcore electronic producers to create something more "hardcore" than everyone else. i have seen this done in many ways, such as making music super complicated while keeping a steady tempo, such as xanopticon or dev/null, with the most slices and fragments of beats per measure without sounding like noise. another way is to find single, powerful sounds and repeating them and expanding upon them, such as in a lot of hard gabber and hardcore industrial music. another way is to abandon the sense of tempo altogether and go for an unexpected, avant-garde approach to music, such as what justice yeldham does, as well as many "noise musicians." noise may be the most hardcore thing in existence, but does its blatant lack of musical elements push it into the realm of non-music? perhaps the most hardcore thing in the world (audio-wise) is the sound of bombs exploding and earthquakes shattering the land around them. perhaps the quest for the hardcore and the avant garde is futile.

i mean, when i make music, i strive for a very hardcore, abrasive sound, but i try to keep a balance of compositional techniques as well. i think that the best influence on a breakcore producer is listening to brilliant composers (in all genres, classical, jazz, electronic, rock etc.) but also listening to the world around them for non-musical sound-based inspiration.

im sort of drunk and rambling about thoughts floating around in my brain, but i really want to know what you guys think about this. i realize that this is probably all "bullshit" anyway....

Normal moderator and owner
Average track rating:
4.7/5 out of 6 votes

Postby PEPCORE » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:49 am

Thats why its in bullshit :) , i agree with all the points you made!, i think you are spot on, but i don't try to be that hard anymore as long as it has a nice flow too it i dig it.

P.s drunk on a week day, sicko :lol:

Most Valuable Poster!

Postby Silent Frog » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:44 am

Everyone has their own reasons for making music and their own goals in doing so. Some people write music to express themselves, others do it because they hate silence and some just do it because they like it and they can. Equally, some people try to aim towards making ever more complex or hardcore music, some try to use more interesting methods in their production to further their work but some just aim to make good tunes with no real goal in mind.

I don't think there is one particular aim in breakcore and I don't think everyone has goals but there is a certain truth in what you are saying. Every form of music (save the generic factory pop shit) has one thing in common and that is creativity. Music is a creative art form and is limitless in its scope. People want what they create to be their own and want to be unique so musicians in general spend their lives searching for their own sound, and I think this is what breakcore is about. The vast array of musical genres drawn from and the software used to make it means that finding a sound unique to yourself is very possible.

Personally, I'm obsessed with complex sounds from simple patterns, order from chaos. Generally, that's my goal when finding new music and writing my own.

Postby gigassassin » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:53 am

Yeah, I've given up on trying to be hard anymore. If it's meant to happen, it'll happen. Don't get me wrong, I'll keep fucking with the bit crushers and distortion, and jagged fuckbeats, but I don't pitch a fit when I end up with a track that sounds pretty. I can't be fucked to try and sound like anything. I just try and help the music get where it's going.

As far as the poll is concerned, I appreciate when music is 'hardore' while still preserving elements of musicality.

Elite!

Postby weyheyhey !! » Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:41 pm

Last edited by weyheyhey !! on Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

pixel mod

Postby rtificial » Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:58 pm

Nice topic and I'm a bit tipsy myself at the moment.

Personally I just like listening to complex stuff. I like hearing music that makes me think and pondering on what went on to make the track. After listening to electronic music for such a long time, DJing and learning music production I get to where I can picture song structure or how tracks are made in my head. So I tend to get irratated when in a matter of seconds I can take apart pop tracks in my head. I'd much rather hear something that makes me perk up in child like amazement as if hearing music for the first time.

In the past I've experimented around with various styles of music trying to find a sound that fits me. I don't really have a goal other than to make music I'd like to listen to and maybe have people enjoy it also.

Maximum Pwnrdrive

Postby matt bleak » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:10 pm

lets see then...
me = convictions for armed robbery, assault with robbery, high speed pursuit, robbery, threat to kill, assault in company...'person of interest' in a homicide case (still unsolved),lengthy times in prison and youth detention...involuntarily hospitalized in psych ward X3, mentally ill but refuses to take medication or see psychiatrists, etc etc...everything i do is hardcore by default - sorry, not posing or anything but its just the facts.... I AM MORE HARDCORE THAN YOU even when i make girly gabber trax... sorry kids, i win :P :twisted: :twisted:
Last edited by matt bleak on Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Sometimes I feel like a vampire" - Ted Bundy
http://www.myspace.com/mattbleak08

Hardcore Member

Postby massenvernichtungsmusik » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:16 pm

whuuu..complex shit..
kinda hard to express my feelings about that in a foreign language..
well..at first i think that,what silent frog sez has a lot of truth in it..
..everybody has its own aims for making music..
for me ..it was and is just for the fun of it mostly..playing with sounds..
and arrange it to something new..trying to create some totally new from
something old..probably with some more years of practicing and getting
more skilled i can finally make the music in my head getting heard by
others..thats my goal in all this..and of course making it hard..in what
way ever this may be..so my advice would be not to try making it sound
like something that allready exists..try to fuck it all up till something
new is born ...let it live ...let it scream...let it bang..

The Horse Lord!

Postby HORSE FORCE » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:30 pm

matt bleak wrote:lets see then...
me = convictions for armed robbery, assault with robbery, high speed pursuit, robbery, threat to kill, assault in company...'person of interest' in a homicide case (still unsolved),lengthy times in prison and youth detention...involuntarily hospitalized in psych ward X3, mentally ill but refuses to take medication or see psychiatrists, etc etc...everything i do is hardcore by default - sorry, not posing or anything but its just the facts.... I AM MORE HARDCORE THAN YOU even when i make girly gabber trax... sorry kids, i win :P :twisted: :twisted:

silly aussie. isnt deviance in your guys' genes over there? lol

Maximum Pwnrdrive

Postby matt bleak » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:33 pm

HORSE FORCE wrote:

dunno, your telling the story mate...but itz definitely in my eyes...

breakcores not just for bedroom geeks u know :P

Maximum Pwnrdrive

Postby matt bleak » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:42 pm

HORSE FORCE wrote:

silly aussie

yeah right! 'intelligent american' bahahahaha!!

The Horse Lord!

Postby HORSE FORCE » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:44 pm

Silent Frog wrote:Everyone has their own reasons for making music and their own goals in doing so. Some people write music to express themselves, others do it because they hate silence and some just do it because they like it and they can. Equally, some people try to aim towards making ever more complex or hardcore music, some try to use more interesting methods in their production to further their work but some just aim to make good tunes with no real goal in mind.

I don't think there is one particular aim in breakcore and I don't think everyone has goals but there is a certain truth in what you are saying. Every form of music (save the generic factory pop shit) has one thing in common and that is creativity. Music is a creative art form and is limitless in its scope. People want what they create to be their own and want to be unique so musicians in general spend their lives searching for their own sound, and I think this is what breakcore is about. The vast array of musical genres drawn from and the software used to make it means that finding a sound unique to yourself is very possible.

Personally, I'm obsessed with complex sounds from simple patterns, order from chaos. Generally, that's my goal when finding new music and writing my own.

i agree with a lot of what you say, except for excluding pop music within the realm of creativity. Pop songs you hear on the radio seem to all sound the same because they have a certain level of catchyness and involve a process. from a songwriting standpoint, writing a pop song is probably one of the most difficult tasks to take on, because you need a song that is original, but vague enough for people to relate to. from a performance standpoint, a pop song needs to showcase the personality of that artist, because you certainly aren't going to see much personality in the production. also, from a engineering/mixing standpoint (my specialty) you need a pop song to sound good on whatever speakers you play it on, whether they're the nicest full range ausberger studio monitors or some shitty ipod earbuds. in many ways, pop music is the most creatively demanding music in today's world because of the large amount of collaboration involved in a single song.

The Horse Lord!

Postby HORSE FORCE » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:47 pm

matt bleak wrote:
HORSE FORCE wrote:

silly aussie

haha, if you want to talk american sterotypes, then talk about how we're the "most powerful nation in the world." i mean, we could blow up the entire world if we wanted with all our nukes and stuff. thats pretty fuckin hardcore.

Maximum Pwnrdrive

Postby matt bleak » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:48 pm

HORSE FORCE wrote:

LOL!!

Maximum Pwnrdrive

Postby matt bleak » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:59 pm

HORSE FORCE wrote:
matt bleak wrote:
HORSE FORCE wrote:

silly aussie

haha, if you want to talk american sterotypes, then talk about how we're the "most powerful nation in the world." i mean, we could blow up the entire world if we wanted with all our nukes and stuff. thats pretty fuckin hardcore.

then go ahead and do it instead of bothering us all with a lot of sooky, whiny, crybaby, paranoid, hysterical and nonsensical crap about boogie-men hiding in caves trying to kill us all/threatening 'our great way of life'...FUCKING DO IT PUSSIES!! :lol: :twisted:
*and your the one who started on the stereotype trip so :P :lol:

Next

Return to Bullshit