My tracks seem empty...

Discuss Independent artists.

Moderators: PEPCORE, SweetPeaPod, BreakforceOne, JohnMerrik

My tracks seem empty...

Postby ClarinetCore » Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:10 am

It's wired, I'll listen to many artists of breakcore and they sound so full. Not just full of great breaks and samples, but the overall feeling just seems to be more full than my tracks. It's hard to explain, but it's like I use great vst's and break samples and string them together nicely, but when I listen to the finished product, it just feels empty. :(

So, what am I missing? It's been very hard to figure out.

1337 P0ZT3r

Postby fap* » Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:39 am

did you upload it? i looked, did i miss it?

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::fap*:::::

Postby ClarinetCore » Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:02 am

it's not really an "it." It's more of the way I'm composing my songs, I think.

I'm really just looking for tips. But maybe I'm not explaining what I mean clearly. :roll:

here are some of my songs:

http://ihatebreakcore.com/modules.php?n ... ck&tid=433

http://ihatebreakcore.com/modules.php?n ... ck&tid=395

Most Valuable Poster!

Postby Silent Frog » Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:06 pm

Nothing especially wrong with them, I liked them both. Your breaks are pretty impressive. I can kinda see what you are getting at though. Your problem with the second of your songs is that it is a bit too much stop/start if you know what I mean. That can work fine but in order for it to do so, the transition between slow and fast has to be seamless, otherwise you lose the continuity. Try sticking a bit more delay on your drums as you come out of the fast part or something. Also, try and have in mind the direction you want your track to go in. If you want it to go fast-slow-fast-slow, try and stick some dynamics in to it so maybe you'll go quietfast-slow-fast-slowwithbuildup-absolutelymental.

This way the listener can follow the music and keep their attention. Let them think they know what's coming, just don't necessarily let them have it. For instance, stick in a crescendo in your breaks as you build up for a heavy part but then trick the listener by suddenly cutting it back just as they think the drop's coming, only to build it back up again and hit them harder.

You also only seem to have two things going on in your tracks at a time: the beats and some other instruments performing the tune. Try sticking in something else to pad out the sound a little more. Maybe some heavily chopped up vocal samples or even just some distortion on the heavier parts.

Don't actually feel you should take any of my advice, I've never actually made breakcore before so I don't really know the technicalities of it. I know how I like my music though and I always think that's what matters.

Pwncall Member

Postby hue-e » Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:57 pm

I liked the tracks... they seem a little flat tho. This can be fixed by effective EQing/mixdown/mastering. Most of both tunes kinda seem to be sitting in the midrange area. EQing each track (drums, synth, etc) so they sit in thier own frequency will make the tracks seem bigger. This especially helps with drums.

Also, while there are bass frequencies, there really doesn't seem to be a significant bassline, perhaps try adding one to see if it fills it out a little. But be careful not to let the bass fight with other bass that you have in your tune. EQ them so they sit in different frequencies.

Another thing that helps me, which seems to kind of be lacking in your tunes is some sort of noise or ambiance in the background to tie the other parts together. Doesn't have to be overly ravey pads or anything, just some sort of background noise.

good tracks tho, like your drum edits.
hue-e
[ www.destroyer.net | www.usjungle.net | www.devilmusicmusic.com | www.hue-e.com - austin, tx]

**DUMPSTER DUO w/ HUE-E & ALAN**
LIVE ON www.destroyer.net/radio
EVERY TUESDAY, 6-8PM CST

Pwner

Postby pimperteen » Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:57 pm

hmm, agree with the other guys. overall, it needs mastering, like this:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/pp8fqp

but, you need to use more of the spectrum, it sounds like everything's EQ'd in the middle. so, more deep bass and add some twinkly top end. try using reverb to create depth and delay to create width.

oh, and I think your beat programming is top. look forward to hearing some more tracks from you, chappie :)

Maximum Pwnrdrive

Postby Lycan » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:05 am

pimperteen wrote:hmm, agree with the other guys. overall, it needs mastering, like this:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/pp8fqp

but, you need to use more of the spectrum, it sounds like everything's EQ'd in the middle. so, more deep bass and add some twinkly top end. try using reverb to create depth and delay to create width.

oh, and I think your beat programming is top. look forward to hearing some more tracks from you, chappie :)

yea I like the tracks but I agree with this. EQ them samples! it can be a long and tedious process, but worth it in the end. but YES, great tracks!

Postby ClarinetCore » Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:01 am

I think I'm understanding what you guys mean, but at the same time I don't think I do. :oops:

If I add a EQ modifier to my track of lets say... drums, how do I know if they are Eq'd correctly with lets say... my bass line or my melody?

I'm just really pretty new to this whole composing thing. :roll:

Maximum Pwnrdrive

Postby Lycan » Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:05 am

I'm pretty new at it too. I'm with you.

although I do know that EQing drums is one thing, and a great thing to overcome. but throwing bass over that, that can be a whole new monster. compression and shit. I dunno. I have to look into that. for now. I'll do without it. too many creative shit that needs to get out, even if I havent mastered the technical side yet.

Elite!

Postby weyheyhey !! » Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:46 pm

just play with it until it sounds right. there isn't going to be a set technique really ... there are basic standard things, but, overall: listen to your track, now compare it with something professional ... what's the difference?

Pwncall Member

Postby hue-e » Sat Dec 15, 2007 7:05 pm

Here's some helpful EQing info that a friend of mine posted on another forum. It's helped me out quite a bit...

20 Hz and below - impossible to detect, remove as it only adds unnecessary energy to the total sound, thereby most probably holding down the overall volume of the track
60 Hz and below - sub bass (feel only)
80(-100) Hz - feel AND hear bass
100-120 Hz - the "club sound system punch" resides here
200 Hz and below - bottom
250 Hz - notch filter here can add thump to a kick drum
150-400 Hz - boxiness
200 Hz-1.5 KHz - punch, fatness, impact
800 Hz-4 KHz - edge, clarity, harshness, defines timbre
4500 Hz - extremly tiring to the ears, add a slight notch here
5-7 KHz - de-essing is done here
4-9 KHz - brightness, presence, definition, sibilance, high frequency distortion
6-15 KHz - air and presence
9-15 KHz - adding will give sparkle, shimmer, bring out details - cutting will smooth out harshness and darken the mix
hue-e
[ www.destroyer.net | www.usjungle.net | www.devilmusicmusic.com | www.hue-e.com - austin, tx]

**DUMPSTER DUO w/ HUE-E & ALAN**
LIVE ON www.destroyer.net/radio
EVERY TUESDAY, 6-8PM CST

Postby Mighty » Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:11 pm

maybe your soul is empty?
-Mighty

Pwncall Member

Postby the shallow stairs » Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:02 am

you only have one break going at times, i like to keep a drum beat going under my breaks, there is also no melody...

The Horse Lord!

Postby HORSE FORCE » Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:50 am

that second track is pretty good, but i would just get some different drum sounds. i really dont think its in your EQ, i think you just need to change some of your samples. maybe get some more compressed, distorted drums, especially if youre not gonna have any melodic or harmonic ideas going on in the background.

the best advice is to listen to breakcore producers you really like and try to imitate the way they program and mix their songs.

Elite!

Postby weyheyhey !! » Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:44 am

hue-e wrote:Here's some helpful EQing info that a friend of mine posted on another forum. It's helped me out quite a bit...

20 Hz and below - impossible to detect, remove as it only adds unnecessary energy to the total sound, thereby most probably holding down the overall volume of the track
60 Hz and below - sub bass (feel only)
80(-100) Hz - feel AND hear bass
100-120 Hz - the "club sound system punch" resides here
200 Hz and below - bottom
250 Hz - notch filter here can add thump to a kick drum
150-400 Hz - boxiness
200 Hz-1.5 KHz - punch, fatness, impact
800 Hz-4 KHz - edge, clarity, harshness, defines timbre
4500 Hz - extremly tiring to the ears, add a slight notch here
5-7 KHz - de-essing is done here
4-9 KHz - brightness, presence, definition, sibilance, high frequency distortion
6-15 KHz - air and presence
9-15 KHz - adding will give sparkle, shimmer, bring out details - cutting will smooth out harshness and darken the mix

hey, thats pretty handy, thanks

Next

Return to Independent