pre or post production?

Post links, share files, discuss breaks. All things breaks.

Moderators: PEPCORE, SweetPeaPod, BreakforceOne, JohnMerrik

Supah No0b

pre or post production?

Postby speedbob » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:18 pm

ive been writing wierd music for years, tho my first love always being jungle.
just gettin into writin breakcore-esque beats and im a wee puzzled.
when i listen to good breakcore im not sure if the noises used for the beats are all pre-prepared with then just a bit of post production like delays, flanges reverbs etc or...
whether the initial samples are fairly dry chopped up loops and noises which then go thru a process of mutilation and effects done on the fly whilst writing the track.
or is it a bit of both?
my gut tells me a bit of both and a bit of instinct along the way, howandever id love if anyone has any ideas on this.

this has stumped me a bit. ive in the past spend a good while making shit loads of different versions of samples to begin with. like timestreched ones, filtered ones, granulabed ones etc, and then used what sounded good,
but while making them i alwys feel like i dont know why im making them cause the track hasnt even been started yet, so how do i know they'll fit at all.
but then if i start a track with dry samples, hoping to make em go all over the shop during the track i always end up feeling limited, like i should have made loads more before starting.
any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
wicked owwwwwwwwwww. :twisted:

Elite!

Postby weyheyhey !! » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:23 pm

hello, good question.

Personally, I always process my stuff first; eq the breaks, compress, timestretch etc. Then chop them up and load them into my sequencer. I think it may depend on the type of software you use...like, maybe you're able to just chop the break, load it in as an instrument and apply "global" effects to that instrument such as compression etc.

I like to keep things as simple as possible in my sequencer (renoise), having too many effects on one [sequencer] 'track' is a pain in the ass to manage.

but while making them i alwys feel like i dont know why im making them cause the track hasnt even been started yet, so how do i know they'll fit at all.

Yeah, totally, I had that same question and problem. I think it just comes with experience. Like now, I have a bunch of breaks I know work well together so it's pretty easy to tell how it will turn out. Sometimes you DO need to go back and change something; add a different break or whatever... so it's important to pay attention to how you processed the others, so it fits right.

practice I guess!

:)

Supah No0b

i love girls who love breakcore

Postby speedbob » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:32 pm

nice one, thanks for the reply dude.
u say, as ive heard another guy say, that part of ur preprocessing is to
eq and compress your breaks.
ive always been told thruout the years to try not to add compression n eq destructively so u can change em if they need to be. so ie to just have compression n eq on the channel, being able to turn it off r change parameters if necessary.
but the other guy who works like u, adding them at the start has some wicked sounding tunes. top notch i must admit.
so whats the buzz, how do u know what eq n compression u want n will fit in the track?
do u have one eq setting that u put all ur breaks thru r do u eq all of them separately judging to taste?
respectaaaaaaaaaa

Elite!

Re: i love girls who love breakcore

Postby weyheyhey !! » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:11 pm

speedbob wrote:nice one, thanks for the reply dude.
u say, as ive heard another guy say, that part of ur preprocessing is to
eq and compress your breaks.
ive always been told thruout the years to try not to add compression n eq destructively so u can change em if they need to be. so ie to just have compression n eq on the channel, being able to turn it off r change parameters if necessary.
but the other guy who works like u, adding them at the start has some wicked sounding tunes. top notch i must admit.
so whats the buzz, how do u know what eq n compression u want n will fit in the track?
do u have one eq setting that u put all ur breaks thru r do u eq all of them separately judging to taste?
respectaaaaaaaaaa

well, have a listen to my stuff and see what you think:
http://www.myspace.com/weyheyheyinnit

Yeah, I see the sense in the non-destructive editing but I've generally found that I've almost never needed to change things like compression/eq after I've done it.

I think it's a good tradeoff between flexibility and simplicity.

I've tried having "runtime" non-destructive compression and ... I dunno, I've found the compressor doesn't work very well with the very tight edits I use. It doesn't sit right with the sound ... well, it can sound a *mess*.

compression wise ... whatever hits the hardest!

EQ... hmm. Well, I don't mess with the breaks too much EQ wise. I'll EQ one of them; flatten it a bit or remove nasty sounding areas and then EQ match the rest of them to the first one.

Supah No0b

Postby speedbob » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:16 pm

ahahaha, you are the guy who i was talking about. no way haha. id saved your myspace page in my bookmarks. how about that.
nice frickin tune'og's there. very nice indeed.
thanks for the info. i hear u on the compression not workin great with lots of edits. makes perfect sense. ill check it out.
www.myspace.com/mickybeautron is my page, tho the stuff aint done very well. track 2 is my most breaky one to date.
howandever, thanks for your views, most helpful indeed.
owwwwwwwww :twisted:

Elite!

Postby weyheyhey !! » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:20 pm

haha freaky !!

Supah No0b

Postby deckw88 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:51 pm

interesting question, had me stumped for a good while when i first started. i like to process stuff not just breaks, before arranging. i like to think im creating my own samples, then i chuck them into a sampler (renoise) and mangle away. Youre right about getting some good compresion before for the quick break edits, get a gate in before anything should sound pretty tight

Pwncore Member

Postby Sir.Vixx » Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:58 pm

What DAW are you using?

Return to Breaks