Slicing Beats: Seperate Program, or In your DAW?

Post links, share files, discuss breaks. All things breaks.

Moderators: PEPCORE, SweetPeaPod, BreakforceOne, JohnMerrik

Pwncall Member

Postby s-n-s » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:53 am

weyheyhey !! wrote:
s-n-s wrote:
thats close to the way i have started working on my stuff :D

Ah nice :) Yeah, that's the method that i've just developed naturally since I started using renoise a couple of years ago. I think it's the best way to do things, although can be quite time consuming innit!

yeah it is time consuming,but its also a fun way to do things IMHO

something i also do sometimes is use slicex in renoise,and then export to sample,and then play with a lot of different effects,and after that sometimes run it through beat creator to make variations

and then import into renoise again for 09XX destruction :D

free pwny ridez!

Postby producer_snafu » Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:01 am

adobe audition <3
\((( "D )))/ Yay clouds! ☁ ☁ ☁ ☁ ☁

Elite!

Postby weyheyhey !! » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:15 am

audition FTW

I don't understand how everybody doesn't use it!

Supah No0b

Postby Gravatrax » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:30 am

Maybe this is amaeteur but I'm still learning anyways.

I use FL Studio 9 XXL and I'm training myself with Reason 4. I don't have a MIDI controller yet. which makes things very frustrating, But anyways I use SliceX. But what I do is I load some sort of Kick in it and then send it tot eh piano roll and I shorten the notes, or articulate them, to give it that kick line affect with breaks in it, shortened drums, etc. I use it for loops to, same effect. It's getting the tempo right I struggle with.

Supah No0b

Postby Drillmouth » Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:46 am

I use the sample editor in Cubase4 to sort out the tempo and timing. I try to not work in 4/4, i tend to find it easier in 3/4 or 7/4 so i have to move things about a lot anyway. I like the sample editor in Cubase cos of the time warp tool. Trying to learn Soundforge, but i'm not great at it. Like it though, cos i can use plug ins with it unlike Audacity which i do still use, but only for making loops tidy.

Pwncall Member

Postby s-n-s » Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:35 am

you can also use plugins in wavesaur check it out,better than audacity IMHO

CoreCore Member

Postby Infekkted » Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:19 pm

I'm trying to learn ableton so as to produce my tracks.my problems are,

1)even when I quantize and slice the beats correctly, I don't know how to make a drum kit or whatever so as to have have them pre-sliced for next tracks.

2)when I slice them and want to put them in order so as to create beat/break riffs, the use of 1/16 and 1/8 together is a huge problem. The length of the sample follows the quantization chosen and I have to change it if I want for example to use
ghost hat - ghost snare - snare . How can someone do it in a similar way as in fruity loops and cubase,where you just put them where you want and can resize them by dragging the mouse ?

N0oO0obZoR

Postby Peggy » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:50 pm

I use Beatcreator, it's easy to slice beats and import with ableton!!!

But IL Slicex thats another nice beatslicer

Pwner

Postby phleg » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:44 am

for a FL user, fruity slicer is a god...

Three Poster

Postby TenisuBaka » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:59 am

I am a complete noob, so forgive me. What exactly is a tracker? How is this different from a DAW? is it independent or used together with a DAW?

Basically, I am extremely influenced by Squarepusher's Hard Normal Daddy and Ultravisitor specifically and want to make similar. Got Record/Reason, just bought Alchemy on the GB though I have no idea how to use it, and thinking about getting Cubase 5 because of the drum editing stuff it seems to have. Would this tracker thing be better?

Postby Dread874 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:39 am

On the suckiest software ever (but it works for me) Garageband,
I chop everything manually.

CoreCore Member

Postby Wobbatha Christie » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:55 am

I load my breaks in to Ableton's arrangement view and just slice bits out manually, the fastest way for me personally.

Supah No0b

Postby null1024 » Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:42 am

09xx in Renoise. I'm too lazy physically edit my breaks like that.
[of course, the moment I turn back to Milky, I have to do it by hand, because the sample offset command isn't percentage based, it's offset based...]

Nothing is done externally though.

Also, @TenisuBaka:
A tracker is a kind of DAW of sorts [well, at least Renoise]. It's pretty much a sequencer based around vertical note lists. Examples of this would be Renoise, MilkyTracker, and Impulse Tracker.

n3wb

Postby sirkoDrive » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:34 am

i destroy th breaks in my DAW, magix music maker... even if it sound fucked up, its a cool programm for cutting.

Supah No0b

Postby kikaruu » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:59 pm

My DAW of choice is Renoise. I slice samples up and use them as individual instruments, so I never venture out to any external program. This way, I can keep CPU usage low and switching/trans-time to a minimum. It's served me pretty well so far.

Previous

Return to Breaks