Slicing Beats: Seperate Program, or In your DAW?

Post links, share files, discuss breaks. All things breaks.

Moderators: PEPCORE, SweetPeaPod, BreakforceOne, JohnMerrik

n3wb

Slicing Beats: Seperate Program, or In your DAW?

Postby abacusfinch » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:13 pm

Which do you do? When I use Ableton I slice up my beats right in it. But I've decided that I want to start using a tracker (Renoise) to slice up, and put my beats together. Should I be using a secondary program, or the sample editor built into Renoise?

Elite!

Postby weyheyhey !! » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:06 pm

i'm a renoise user. i process/eq/compress/whatever the breaks in Audition and then cut them up with Zero-X beatcreator then package the slices into renoise instruments using RiGen.

Pwncall Member

Postby Gostek » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:51 pm

Renoise. I really like it's beat etc measure
duh duh duh duh, duh duh duh duh

Supah No0b

Postby vakyoomluigi » Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:11 am

Beat slicing is very easy in Renoise. Once you've loaded up your beat as an instrument, you'll see in the sample editor screen under the waveform numbers from 00 to FF (Renoise works with hexadecimal numbers). These are points on the sound that Renoise marks automatically when you import a sample. In the effects column in the pattern editor, use the 09xx command to skip around on the sample, with xx being replaced by whatever numbered point on the sample you want it to skip to. This is nice because it doesn't require any actual cutting of audio.

n3wb

Postby abacusfinch » Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:49 pm

vakyoomluigi wrote:Beat slicing is very easy in Renoise. Once you've loaded up your beat as an instrument, you'll see in the sample editor screen under the waveform numbers from 00 to FF (Renoise works with hexadecimal numbers). These are points on the sound that Renoise marks automatically when you import a sample. In the effects column in the pattern editor, use the 09xx command to skip around on the sample, with xx being replaced by whatever numbered point on the sample you want it to skip to. This is nice because it doesn't require any actual cutting of audio.

That's a lot of actually useful information. Thank you.

Pwncall Member

Postby Gostek » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:25 pm

Yeah, it doesn't require it, but without it i'll sound like shit. Non sliced beat will sound 'wtf random'
duh duh duh duh, duh duh duh duh

Three Poster

Postby TheatresofSilence » Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:30 pm

I like to make my samples using the slicer tool in FL studio then slice up the break either on my mpc or play the clips in ableton and use a mapped out rack of beat repeats.

I've seen what people have made using Reason 4 and Recycle, Renoise, etc... but i haven't been able to wrap my head around it.

n3wb

Postby attackoftheflyingpope » Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:59 am

Personally, I just map out a couple of Ableton beat repeats to a controller, I like the randomness effect, plus it makes it easier to play live.
myspace.com/attackoftheflyingpope

CoreCore Member

Postby Lunargoose » Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:22 am

hahahhaha, I just do some intimate work with a drum map

Elite!

Postby weyheyhey !! » Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:15 pm

vakyoomluigi wrote:Beat slicing is very easy in Renoise. Once you've loaded up your beat as an instrument, you'll see in the sample editor screen under the waveform numbers from 00 to FF (Renoise works with hexadecimal numbers). These are points on the sound that Renoise marks automatically when you import a sample. In the effects column in the pattern editor, use the 09xx command to skip around on the sample, with xx being replaced by whatever numbered point on the sample you want it to skip to. This is nice because it doesn't require any actual cutting of audio.

It's also a massive pain in the ass if you like to use lots of slices all over the place from different breaks. It's also inaccurate :p Much better off quantising and slicing externally then loading all slices into a renoise instrument and mapping each slice to C, C#, D, D# etc....

Pwncall Member

Postby s-n-s » Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:02 pm

weyheyhey !! wrote:i'm a renoise user. i process/eq/compress/whatever the breaks in Audition and then cut them up with Zero-X beatcreator then package the slices into renoise instruments using RiGen.

thats close to the way i have started working on my stuff :D

1337 P0ZT3r

Postby kosmonavt » Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:04 pm

weyheyhey !! wrote:

It's also a massive pain in the ass if you like to use lots of slices all over the place from different breaks. It's also inaccurate :p

I'm not sure if it's inaccurate.. The beat slicing tutorial file does it like that!

Elite!

Postby weyheyhey !! » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:55 pm

kosmonavt wrote:
I'm not sure if it's inaccurate.. The beat slicing tutorial file does it like that!

Well if your break is quantized exactly, then yes I suppose it doesn't matter. as 0980 is always going to be halfway (which will be exactly the 3rd beat of a 4 beat bar), 09C0 is always going to be three-quarterway (which will be exactly the 4th beat of a 4 beat bar) etc.

However if it's not.......... then you've only got 256 sample positions to select. If your break is ~2 seconds long @ 44Khz then it has around 90000 samples... and so with a resolution - or a "choice" - of only 256 in that 90000; there's a good chance that it won't be possible to trigger from the place you need to :)

All of these tracker codes are 8-bit (max of 256) which is a leftover from the olden tracking days of the 1980s. I'd like there to be an option for 16-bit values which would yield a max of 65536 possibles but I don't see how that would work :/

Elite!

Postby weyheyhey !! » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:04 pm

s-n-s wrote:
thats close to the way i have started working on my stuff :D

Ah nice :) Yeah, that's the method that i've just developed naturally since I started using renoise a couple of years ago. I think it's the best way to do things, although can be quite time consuming innit!

teh_pwner

Postby S2K08 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:35 pm

I've gptten real into slicing wavs of breaks manually in the fl pattern sequencer, that way there's really no limit to the amount of snares and shit you cam have
just memes and donks these days
http://www.soundcloud.com/sherekahnn

Next

Return to Breaks