Trackers

Post links, share files, discuss breaks. All things breaks.

Moderators: PEPCORE, SweetPeaPod, BreakforceOne, JohnMerrik

Supah No0b

Trackers

Postby jylsynder » Mon May 10, 2010 1:19 am

Hey all

I've been using the LSDJ tracker on my Gameboy colour (pro-sound modded of course!) for a while now and was thinking of moving into the realms of PC trackers...i.e Renoise to create more breakcore orientated pieces.

Is it a similar interface? Are there any particular concepts behind it that make it unique? I quite like the idea of being able to make micro changes...in the past I've done it through putting the tempo track of my DAW to 4 times the actual tempo so I can zoom in and snap onto gridlines to make small changes...

Supah No0b

Postby jylsynder » Mon May 10, 2010 1:06 pm

I'm also not quite sure why I posted this in the "breaks" section of the forum...
n00b!

Pwncall Member

Postby s-n-s » Mon May 10, 2010 7:37 pm

try to download the renoise demo

when you get your head around it,you wont look back

its that awesome

Supah No0b

Postby jylsynder » Mon May 10, 2010 10:16 pm

ah I have a full version of it already....I just fancied some nice user input/tips n tricks before I get really into it and learn things the lonnnnng way instead of maybe being able to cut a few corners :)

CoreCore Member

Postby Skornsteen » Wed May 12, 2010 10:23 am

Renoise can be very powerful is used well.
Advice I whould give you is to name your tracks, elsewise you will get lost eventually. The individual tracks in the patterns.
It's also possible to create insanely edited sounds by for instance, loading in a synthesizer, or 3.. create a nice pattern with it, put on a stack of effects and don't be gentle with the amount, select the written out parts in the pattern sequencer, and render it to sample. Name the sample to the length of the sequence, put it back in, delete the old effects (not the original synths or samples used, it will make the patch unusable for some reason)
and process it again, render ..
Practically: Sequence > Process > Resample endlessly.
Try to render as much stuff as possible to save CPU, whould keep the drums in individual samples though, so you can use all your power for effect automation, which can be done very easilly if you practice a bit.
Also the automation commands like 0EXX and 09XX are very usefull for stretches retriggers etc.
Use send channels to compress stuff together..
Also the Native distortion and Lofimat are very nice plugins.
It costs a lot of time to get your tracks down perfect, but the results can be insanely detailed breakcore tunes with nice effect usages, sick sound scapes because of the resampling and layering with either brutal or technical drum patterns.
Also the wavedrawing function is pretty cool. in the sample editor.
And you can include any external source too, with the sample editor record function.. practically you could sample your gameboy sequence it, cut it up in the sample editor.
A lot of options with renoise.
Good luck :twisted:

Postby puke flytalker » Mon May 17, 2010 10:29 pm

Skornsteen wrote:Renoise can be very powerful is used well.
Advice I whould give you is to name your tracks, elsewise you will get lost eventually. The individual tracks in the patterns.
It's also possible to create insanely edited sounds by for instance, loading in a synthesizer, or 3.. create a nice pattern with it, put on a stack of effects and don't be gentle with the amount, select the written out parts in the pattern sequencer, and render it to sample. Name the sample to the length of the sequence, put it back in, delete the old effects (not the original synths or samples used, it will make the patch unusable for some reason)
and process it again, render ..
Practically: Sequence > Process > Resample endlessly.
Try to render as much stuff as possible to save CPU, whould keep the drums in individual samples though, so you can use all your power for effect automation, which can be done very easilly if you practice a bit.
Also the automation commands like 0EXX and 09XX are very usefull for stretches retriggers etc.
Use send channels to compress stuff together..
Also the Native distortion and Lofimat are very nice plugins.
It costs a lot of time to get your tracks down perfect, but the results can be insanely detailed breakcore tunes with nice effect usages, sick sound scapes because of the resampling and layering with either brutal or technical drum patterns.
Also the wavedrawing function is pretty cool. in the sample editor.
And you can include any external source too, with the sample editor record function.. practically you could sample your gameboy sequence it, cut it up in the sample editor.
A lot of options with renoise.
Good luck :twisted:

is it just me or is render to sample the most powerful addition to renoise

n3wb

Postby deadbolt101 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:56 am

is it just me or is render to sample the most powerful addition to renoise

Other's DAWs can do it too can't they.. render to wav?
^ What he said ^

CoreCore Member

Postby Skornsteen » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:31 pm

Its not about if they can or can't do it, every reasonable DAW can in some way.
The handy thing about the renoise render to sample is that you can make a very quick selections and render to sample in about 2 mouse clicks.
Personally I think the render to sample option in renoise is very keen, but what I mostly like about it is the damn easy and extremely accurate way of automating any button you want, which is done in such a way that you can see very clearly what you are doing, what I find with other daw's and which a lot of my friends also have is that it is a lot of work to set up automations for all those buttons you want to automate, while recording midi automation isn't accurate enough it puts you off from doing it, thinking I'll be doing it later, and then eventually forgeting about it.
Still find that in DAW's like logic, cubase even FL playlist editor is so much more clear, and you can actually see the audio length etc.
Renoise is more based on knowing a lot from your head, commands, sample lengths, it doesn't show all that in a visual way, but in code.
While FL, Cubase, Logic etc.. show everything very clearly like how long this audio sample lasts and all the EQing over individual samples in the mixer etc.

Return to Breaks