metal drums

Post links, share files, discuss drums. All things drums.

Moderators: PEPCORE, SweetPeaPod, BreakforceOne, JohnMerrik

Hardcore Member

metal drums

Postby Hillgiant » Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:57 am

my friend metal band cannt afford to record drums so they want to program them
where can i get good metal drum samples

Maximum Pwnrdrive

Postby xTxRxAxVxIxSx » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:07 pm

Do you mean they can't afford studio time to record the drums? Or they can't afford drum mics and all that?

If they have mics, they could just go ahead and record all of their own hits (kicks, hats, snares, etc). I have a friend that did that for his solo side-project band, and it actually sounds pretty natural, aside from the superhuman speed of the double kick, haha.

Otherwise, I don't really know. I have yet to hear any decent samples for 'metal' drums.

Postby Chaos Chaplain » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:24 am

Replace the kicks with a gabber kick, like The Berzerker does! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gqVVQ-q8Zs

Supah No0b

Postby Ezzy » Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:27 am

mmmmmmmm the berzerker
I'm a long time fan (from some of their tracks) :D

Supah No0b

Postby m00n » Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:11 am

only drumkit from hell
used by Meshuggah and fear facory

Breakcore Member

Postby nsound » Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:38 am

i second the drumkit from hell - its pretty good and if you hook it up to a real drum kit to get the performance you get a wicked sounding, human played/playable quantisable drum track

gotta get some midi sensor things for that tho

The Horse Lord!

Postby HORSE FORCE » Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:11 am

you can also use soundreplacer if youre using pro tools. but drum kit from hell is the shit too. any sampler will work for sequencing drum sounds as long as you put the settings right. you can get good sounding drums in garageband if you have good samples.

Breakcore Member

Postby the_machine » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:10 am

i usually use reason's standard rock kit and kinda tweak the samples 'till they sound more like 'in your face' metal.
otherwise look for the morbid angel drum check song. there's a pretty nice kick in there.
drumkit from hell is also a good souce indeed Im/
"Viel von sich reden kann auch ein Mittel sein, sich zu verbergen"

Supah No0b

Postby UmbrielMan » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:08 pm

Drumkit from hell!!

Listen to some Meshuggah

They use it on Catch33 aswell as other albums.

Supah No0b

Postby dakloos » Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:13 am

A friend of mine, used Drumkit from hell...Good program 8)

n3wb

Postby .dD! » Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:09 am

Try fuckin' Addictive Drums.

S'what I use innit.
Shut up fag.

Supah No0b

Postby weakling » Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:28 am

The Steven Slate samples are by far the best, I've used them on a few projects recently but they cost £200 which is a fuck load of money for sounds!. DFH 2.0 is a close 2nd, BFD2 sucks arse. EZ drummer is not bad if you multitrack the sounds in your DAW and compress the shit out of the cymbals, and EQ snare etc etc.

For sound replacement Drumagog is the most accurate I've used as you can adjust the dynamic tracking and the gog are grouped in multisample loudness.

Goto the Andy sneap forum, loads of links to drum samples and gogs

Three Poster

Postby npetrie » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:53 pm

I made a 2 short metal "songs" in FL studio 8. To get a good sounding metal drum kit I just sampled the snare, kick, crash etc. from some of my favorite metal songs and created my own kit. All you have to do is find a part in a song where there isn't anything else playing that would ruin your sample, like a slow drum fill. You can listen to them here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=df-zW3dBwyY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCxlOtj3MBc

They're only about a minute each. If you like the my kit I could send you it. Message my youtube. I'm new to this site and I don't check it as often. Hope I helped.

n3wb

Postby 21221 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:37 am

BFD... a bit pricey though (~$500).

check out Drumcore ($199), or Kitcore ($99), they're made by a company called submersible music. Drumcore is a collection of drum grooves in audio and midi format. Kitcore is basically a sample based drum machine.

i'm pretty sure sony makes a metal sample library for acid too. it's around $50, and it's in wav format, so any sampler can use the files.

if you don't have access to a real drum kit, get a portable digital recorder (like a zoom H2), go to your local drum shop, and record single hits from the different kits. then you can construct your own with your sampler. it's not perfect, bit with a little signal processing and mixing, you can make it work.

n3wb

Postby 21221 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:42 am

also check out the live album from cryptopsy called "none so live" there is a drum solo portion that is worth hearing at the very least.

you can also check out instructional drumming dvds and simply extract the audio with a dvd ripper. there's a video featuring flo mounier (cryptopsy drummer) that is worth it's weight in gold.

Return to Drums