Keeping the groove.

Post links, share files, discuss drums. All things drums.

Moderators: PEPCORE, SweetPeaPod, BreakforceOne, JohnMerrik

Keeping the groove.

Postby gigassassin » Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:33 am

I have to notice when I'm programming how easy it is to put a hit out of place, and have it sound like shit, even though the whole drum track will actually sound rather randomly made.

Some people make comments about broken breakbeats, or breakbeat-esque programmed machine sounds, sounding as if someone's throwing a drumset down a flight of stairs or whatnot, but there is a strange science behind it that's hard to describe, except that you know when it's off. There's a difference between funky syncopation and fucking awful timing, and it's a fine line. I think the best drums I've heard are those that push closest to the line without ending up on the shit end.

Um, discuss. Or something. I'm interested to hear other people's thoughts on this matter, which I feel is central to the craft.

(Also, BTW, I'm eager to put some user tracks up, but something bad keeps happening when I try to register. I sent a contact message about it already. Just thought I'd mention it, since I'm liable to talk a good spell about programming, yet contribute nothing.)

Supah No0b

Postby MuFFLeS » Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:14 am

yup...sometimes that hit that breaks the spell, is the mistake that needs to be brought out & used...i'll use picturesque language, cos it works better, & there's more words to use. ...it's like watching dragonflies hover & then deciding they've got something better to do, then they haven't, then they have...you've got using to the repeating blur of the wings, the floating movement, slow it down, it'd look choatic, then the changed direction, float, change,but they still run that nice floating movement...(mmm i like dragonflies)...anyways, it's probably got a lot to do with you, do you wanna fuck with that nice floatly pattern, & if you do, can you better it??...how far in do you wanna go?...

sometimes it's the mistakes, the odd drum hits, that noticed & repeated for the viewers at home, work for me...offtime, offkey, i don't notice much, but it might pop up & make the track for me...i figure the fella had a reason for putting that hit in, & it's my prob why it irritates me...

Supah No0b

Postby MuFFLeS » Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:33 am

maybe this fits, maybe it doesn't...

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=0U4UHJHN

Postby gigassassin » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:45 pm

Yeah, knowing how to take advantage of a happy accident, and seeing where it would have you go is a way to go where you'd have never thought you'd end up.

So, out of all possibile outcomes, are most of them going to sound like shit, or come off as if they were planned by a genius stroking off?

At what point do you give up trying to make a wack-ass beat fit?

Supah No0b

Postby MuFFLeS » Thu May 01, 2008 6:32 am

just having a crack at building a break, & found my rule of thumb...if i reverse too many hits, its a wack-ass beat...

Return to Drums