drums in fruity loops

Post links, share files, discuss drums. All things drums.

Moderators: PEPCORE, SweetPeaPod, BreakforceOne, JohnMerrik

Supah No0b

drums in fruity loops

Postby al » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:54 am

been makin tunes a couple of months now. still havin a lot of difficult constructin drum loops. just wondered if anyone could give me some advise and let me know what they use etc. cheers

Normal moderator and owner
Average track rating:
4.7/5 out of 6 votes

Postby PEPCORE » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:28 pm

I mostly use existing break/drum loops, and open them in a new slicer channel, then i edit the fuck out of them on the piano roll, If you are wanting to make your own, there is a drumsynth i FL, i just dont use that very often.

Supah No0b

Postby MuFFLeS » Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:47 pm

Hi. here's a quick reply...

I usually find a good kick drum, & use right click on the sample name in the pattern editor / fill each 8 steps

then a i find a break & stretch it to 8,16 or 32 bars, whichever sounds good..trigger that every 8,16 or 32 bars.

next is closed & open hats, making a nice pattern (using a channel for each sample) that fits in with the break. again right click on sample name / fill each 8 or 4 or 2 step

a snare is next, tucking the hits in & off beat with the break...

then i start listening to the loop & moving hits of each drum sample round..sometimes it helps to mute the original break, & start filling in the gaps this leaves with more hits of snare, hats, or maybe a bit of side stick action.

when i'm happy with this, i'll copy this pattern to a new pattern & start shifting hits around to create a variance on the first loop..i might make up to 5-6 loops this way, that all use the same drum sounds, & textures.

then in the song editor i can mix & match these 5-6 loops to start building a track..using copy whole pattern i'll make additional patterns that help to move from one pattern to the next, of work to breakdown, etc. muting say snare to see how it sounds. you can then remove the snare from this new pattern without losing any thing from the original loop.

or you can copy just the snare, or hihat work to a new pattern & use it in the song editor, trigger just that pattern over say the first, 3rd, or whatever loop, to give you some more flexiablity.

i tend to use hits (kick,hats,snare,etc) that i've sliced from different breaks, (recycle is good, or it's lazy, you can use any type of wave editor, i used to use adobe audition, but i'm getting lazy so i use recycle) as they have nice, dirty textures that i like. they also sound a bit more interesting coming from different sources, put together...

ok...it's early here. hope this helps, or that you foloow what i'll written..

have fun

Supah No0b

Postby al » Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:03 am

yeah thanks man that helped alot. :D
"When we blindly adopt a religion, a political system, a literary dogma, we become automatons. We cease to grow."

Supah No0b

Postby MuFFLeS » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:07 am

nice

Supah No0b

Postby KhZ » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:25 am

thx a lot man

Maximum Pwnrdrive

Postby xTxRxAxVxIxSx » Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:57 am

This may be a ridiculous way to do it, but it's always worked well for me.

I almost always just drag individual hits (kicks, snares, claps, hats, etc) into the PLAYLIST window, and organize everything in there. I only ever use patterns for my drums if I'm slicing a break (sometimes I'll even just do that in the playlist too though). I like this a lot better because: 1) It's extremely easy to 'see' what your beat will sound like, 2) It's extremely easy to make variations on a beat - just copy the last 8 bars or whatever you did, and fuck with that (no copying patterns, then trying to remember what's what. You can see the pattern all the time), and 3) It makes it look like you've done more work by cluttering your screen to hell. That's the only problem that I find - it takes up space that you need to see automation clips and stuff in.

See, I only have 6 actual "patterns", and they're reserved for the synth/basslines. Not that this was the best example to show you though because the drums don't vary that much in that section - but you get the idea.

And I get disorganized as fuck in that bottom half. Even with all of those clips and everything, there are still a couple a capella tracks down below...

1337 P0ZT3r

Postby MarkyPoo » Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:22 am

Allright.
I Don't Make "Breakcore" Really Anymore But I Make A Fusion Of Digigrind Dubstep And Hip Hop.
I Load A Few Loops Into The Slicer And Distort,Compress,Whatever Them.
Then I Find A Few Kicks And Effect Them Aswell.
Maybe Add A Ride ( I Don't Like To Use Hats ) TO Make It More Full Sounding.
Then Edit Them.
I Just Realized How Horribly Useless What I Said Was.

Normal moderator and owner
Average track rating:
4.7/5 out of 6 votes

Postby PEPCORE » Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:14 am

xTxRxAxVxIxSx wrote:Image

Lol, mine looks like completely different.

I used to do it your way, but i found that you can do a lot more editing when just using paterns, and slicer channels, the editing can be much sicker imho.

And i find it very overseeable when listening to it and trying to edit later, but it really was an aquired taste.

I also mostly do all the vst paramter shit in the patterns too.

Maximum Pwnrdrive

Postby xTxRxAxVxIxSx » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:53 pm

Well yeah, it's definitely more organized that way. And as long as I'm not doing a track that has to vary *too* much on the breaks, I'll do it that way.

Oh, you just reminded me though - if I'm working on breakcore, or anything that requires super-fast retriggers, pitch-shifting, etc. That has to be done in patterns, because of the automation on fine pitch, velocity, panning, cutoff, resonance...

But I don't usually work on breakcore. :P

Supah No0b

Postby MuFFLeS » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:51 am

WOW. never seen those screens before!! i'm used to the orange LED's blinking on & off as the beat passes through. WOW.

you learn something new every day.

Supah No0b

Postby D503 » Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:16 am

xTxRxAxVxIxSx wrote:This may be a ridiculous way to do it, but it's always worked well for me.

I almost always just drag individual hits (kicks, snares, claps, hats, etc) into the PLAYLIST window, and organize everything in there. I only ever use patterns for my drums if I'm slicing a break (sometimes I'll even just do that in the playlist too though). I like this a lot better because: 1) It's extremely easy to 'see' what your beat will sound like, 2) It's extremely easy to make variations on a beat - just copy the last 8 bars or whatever you did, and fuck with that (no copying patterns, then trying to remember what's what. You can see the pattern all the time), and 3) It makes it look like you've done more work by cluttering your screen to hell. That's the only problem that I find - it takes up space that you need to see automation clips and stuff in.

See, I only have 6 actual "patterns", and they're reserved for the synth/basslines. Not that this was the best example to show you though because the drums don't vary that much in that section - but you get the idea.

And I get disorganized as fuck in that bottom half. Even with all of those clips and everything, there are still a couple a capella tracks down below...

This looks like fun.

Postby djipe » Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:33 am

Slicer is your best friend :wink:

Supah No0b

Postby EpheDrin » Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:14 pm

crazy :lol:

Breakcore Member

Postby aerick » Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:37 pm

i think the slicex is better. u can edit every single hit and send them indivdiual to a mixerchannel. makes the pianorollediting even more comfortable.

Return to Drums