tuning drums

Post links, share files, discuss drums. All things drums.

Moderators: PEPCORE, SweetPeaPod, BreakforceOne, JohnMerrik

Hardcore Member

tuning drums

Postby Funkicker » Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:02 pm

right now i only have 2 ways of tuning drums to the same frequency, which both take quite some time, so i could do with a faster way..

i usually tune them by ear, which is just trial and error untill it's right, which can take frustratingly long and a lot of listening over and over again.

and i try a tuning method that's great on melodies, and sometimes sounds great on drums, to see if it gets a better result.
it's boosting the frequency to tune to with an eq (making it sound horrible) and then gradually turning a filter down untill it fits exactly in the mix.
even though this takes less time then completely doing it by ear it still takes a while, and sometimes just doesn't cut it

so anyone know a better/faster way to do the trick?

also, i check the frequency of a short drumhit with a spectrum analyser, which obvisouly isn't the most precise, so maybe there's a nice vst out there that can tell me the exact frequency even on short drums?

The Horse Lord!

Postby HORSE FORCE » Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:24 pm

in your sampler you should be able to map out your drums to more than one key on the piano roll. then when you play that key in your sequencer, your drums will vary in pitch up or down by half step.

Hardcore Member

Postby Funkicker » Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:49 pm

yea i know that, but i use other software because my sequencers all make it sound less natural..
although it can be useful, i was talking about finetuning (at least i think i was), to make the drums really hit you in the face and make the samples sound like they're all coming from one kit
i cant seem to get that effect with diatonic or chromatic tuning

Return to Drums