teh almight snare rush

Post links, share files, discuss drums. All things drums.

Moderators: PEPCORE, SweetPeaPod, BreakforceOne, JohnMerrik

Breakcore Member

teh almight snare rush

Postby ObedMarsh » Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:52 am

my snare rushes sound like ass and poo,
any pointers on how to make a snare rush thats made of awesome?
or even a snare rush guide for dummies?

thx in advance.

CoreCore Member

Postby avisupchurch » Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:10 am

first of all make sure you're using a snare sample that is a appropriate... other than that, figure out what notes you want to accentuate (like what part of the beat you want to accent), and then try to make it so your 64th notes or whatever are leading directly towards them or away..... when you're happy with the rhythm, shape it up using filters, panning, volume, delays, etc. making a good snare rush is not that easy; you just have to be patient and get experience making them.... post a link to something you've tried to make, if you want more specific advice

CoreCore Member

Postby avisupchurch » Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:14 am

if you're using reason, you should do all the processing on your snare sample (or any drum sample for that matter) like compression, distortion, reverb, etc. and then export it, and reload your single hit into a drum machine/sample device.... running your sequenced snare rush through distortion or reverb right from the device will destroy the clarity of the rhythm you're creating... and you can control your dynamics using the velocity curve as well

Elite!

Postby weyheyhey !! » Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:14 pm

wtf is a 'snare rush'?

CoreCore Member

Postby avisupchurch » Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:30 pm

weyheyhey !! wrote:wtf is a 'snare rush'?

ahahah, good question!!

n3wb

Postby plucking skanker » Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:39 pm

make sure the notes you are using a short and get shorter as the hits get more rapid
increasing the velocity works well as does increasing the cut off of your filter
slight increase in pitch as it goes along works nicely as well

Three Poster

Postby Sofie » Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:12 pm

;) goood mean

CoreCore Member

Postby 133crazydirector » Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:54 pm

Sorry mate, what do you mean 'notes shorter', 00 after sample?

n3wb

Postby felixhelix » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:00 pm

Amen snare+effects=sorted mate. I personally like to fuck with the velocity over effects, it just sounds better that way, but in terms of a harsh gritty snare rush, a pitched amen snare gets you really very far.
regards,

Postby gigassassin » Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:57 pm

Well, here's my first post.

For those who would ask, a snare rush is the sound of multiple instances of a sample (often a snare drum, but hi-hats, kicks and, well, anything can sound nice), quantized close to one another. 64th notes are the start of rush territory at most tempos, but they can be made as fast as your equipment can play them. I find that most of the time 2048th notes, tend to get a little shrill for my tastes.

I like to use a sample that's set to execute once at a time -monophonic. Every new instance of the sample stops the one before it. Sometimes I let the sample play polyphonic, and most of the time there's a ringing involved that I'm not terribly fond of. Anyway, if your drum sampler, or machine, is worth anything at all it has a monophonic setting -it's the thing that makes your closed hi-hat stop the open hi-hat.

As far as manipulation of your snare rush goes, I'd say the three basic variables are interval -how far apart the notes are quantized, velocity -how loud they're playing, and pitch -y'know, pitch. Increasing or decreasing the space between the notes is effective in lowering or rasing the pitch of the rush, unless of course you alter the pitch at the same time, such as lowering the pitch of the sample while decreasing the space between samples (increasing the speed) to keep the pitch constant.

Velocity, well, it's shooter's preference. Increasing the volume as the rush moves through time creates a sort of reverse feel, to me. Decreasing it is like a digitized envelope release.

Then there are effects. I find it effective to enable a send from the snare to a reverb channel when I want some quick emphasis -as if a snare rush weren't enough of an attention grabber.

Heck, I could muse on snare rushes all day, but this post is already gettting long enough to keep conversation going.

Oh yeah, <b>ObedMarsh</b>, all through typing this I was all "Where do I know that name from?"

Innsmouth. Way to ring a bell.

Pwner

Postby pimperteen » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:10 pm

erm, so essentially: some-snares-in-a-row.

Honestly these terms ... "snare rush" .. ugh. sounds like it was made up by a journalist or something. you spend more time explaining the thing the term refers to than the actual technique (lulz if you could even call it that).

fucking hell, if some people can't figure this out on their own - they should give up making breakcore immediately.

Postby gigassassin » Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:39 pm

pimperteen wrote:fucking hell, if some people can't figure this out on their own - they should give up making breakcore immediately.

Some of me is inclined to agree.

I had fun figuring it out for myself.

Then again, I just love blabbering like a geek about making music, and the people I'm around these days don't know or care what I'm talking about.

n0Ob

Postby den&bass » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:29 pm

i sometimes use snare rushes aswell (i'm using FL7). but i cant trigger them as fast as wanted in the sequencer. so i use a vst instead, but its not as easy to custom as if i were in the sequencer...can someone help?

n3wb

Postby bokip » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:20 pm

Snare rushes are so 1999 ;)

Breakcore Member

Postby cornishacid » Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:41 pm

pimperteen wrote:fucking hell, if some people can't figure this out on their own - they should give up making breakcore immediately.

asshole.

Next

Return to Drums