SECRETS TO GREAT DRUMS

Post links, share files, discuss drums. All things drums.

Moderators: PEPCORE, SweetPeaPod, BreakforceOne, JohnMerrik

what's your philosophy on the amen snare?

i use it in almost every track as my primary snare.
23%
i use it every once in a while.
46%
its overused and cliche. i use other snares.
31%

Total votes : 71
Supah No0b

Postby Yellow Then Blue » Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:05 am

cool idea about layering different types of sound in your drum samples. ive spent too many late nights trying to get my amen totally clean. but control over noise is much better than being stuck with something you dont want. i usually run mine through the scream effect in reason along with lots of other stuff depending on the sound im going for. the scream effect gives it some tape like sound though which is nice. im just discovering the NNXT sampler but i think i like the dr rex more because of automation options. REASON 3 USERS UNITE!!

Supah No0b

Postby fase » Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:36 am

i've never used amen snares!
create them with synth!

Supah No0b

Postby Drillmouth » Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:01 am

I've used an Amen once. I tend to write my own drums on Reason 4 and export them into other things to mess with them. When doing a drum heavy track i layer my drums with other things, like getting a really tight sounding snare and putting some static under it to give it a bit of a wash, or layering an electronic kick with a heavy door slam to make it sound a bit more real. Also doing stuff like pitching thunder really high can give you a nice cymbal sound.

If i sample drums i usually take them from rock tracks. I've used the rolls from Faith No Mores version of Warpigs a couple of times, with some shelves on them to isolate different parts or create general weirdness.

Three Poster

Postby Abno » Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:02 pm

Tricked me >.<

Postby mindkontrolultra » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:27 pm

good tutorial..

usually i just layer a snare and a clap... or a snare on top of the break ... when sequencing i'll usually do a slight LPF to add variation to some hits and often have a separate track with some reverb for big hits

good idea about the noise tho, i'll have to try it

teh_pwner

Postby S2K08 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:48 pm

weyheyhey !! wrote:
den&bass wrote:i want to get rid of it, in FL7, but dont succeed to trigger the slices fast enough and recreate the effects manually. or maybe i dont get completely what glitch can do for me : i dont understand how to control the variation innit (either its in random mode or i have 16 bars of various fx cycling, unless by loading tons of dblues in my fxs, wich would take too much CPU). what can i do?

Use automation. I'm sure dblue_glitch allows you to automate the parameters on each of its effects.

nah, well yeah, but you cant automate the fx sequencer though, so loading it in loads of different fx channels is the only way, and it aint great at that.

FL - Personally, I write a tune first, either with samples or piano roll, then throw loads of breaks over it, which I try to never, ever loop (thats what the tune or bassline is for) so basically I end up with one pattern thats fuck knows how many bars long, which contains all the piano rolls, then I usually slice up loads of samples in the playlist view and throw it on top, then automate everything.
just memes and donks these days
http://www.soundcloud.com/sherekahnn

Previous

Return to Drums